Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TidewaterClan
Algebra I - 7th or 8th grade?
May 4 at 7:20 PM

Hey Ladies!

When do (or have) you plan to start Algebra I with your children?  I purchased Algebra I for Haley's 7th grade next year, since she enjoys all of the pre-algebra math we've done.  She has a good grasp on all of the other math topics, so I think it's safe to move on.  Would there be a reason to stick with 'all-around' math?

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    May 4 at 7:42 PM

If she's ready, she's ready. Just take it slowly.

• TidewaterClan
    May 4 at 10:27 PM
    Good advice. Plus at this point we have time to slowly conquer this and the other precalculus math classes.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

If she's ready, she's ready. Just take it slowly.

• NYCitymomx3
    May 4 at 10:34 PM

We're doing Algebra 1 now (7th grade) because I felt ds was ready.   He's using Teaching Textbooks, which starts out with lots of review.  He began the program in March, he's up to Lesson 25, and is doing very well so far (getting a 92 on both tests).   We'll probably stretch this into 8th grade.  No rush.  I'd rather go slowly where he has full understanding, than try to get done quickly.  

So, yeah, go for it if you feel she's ready.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    May 4 at 11:54 PM
    We.did the TT pre-algebra this year and it was a lot.of.review since he had done Math U See previously and had a grasp of the basics of it. It has actually.been a huge confidence booster.for him to get mostly 100%s and a few in the 90s.

We.probably should have just done Algebra this year (8th) but he used to struggle a lot with math so we took it slow.
  • Jenn8604
    May 4 at 11:58 PM
    NEVER!!!!
    Someone else will have to do that. I barely made a C in algebra. I can't teach it to someone else.
  • bluerooffarm
    May 5 at 8:03 AM

I personally plan on taking the 7th grade year to balance a checkbook, teach how to read and complete tax forms, make a budget, and all that jazz.  I started algebra in 7th grade, but I felt over my head with it.  Plus no one ever taught those kinds of things in the PS and it's soooooo important.  I could probably do both, but I'd rather give it some time.

That said, if she's ready, go for it!  You'll take it at her pace unlike my ps teacher, and she'll have the resources she needs!

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 5 at 8:46 AM
    I started Missie on previous Algebra in 6th but actually picked a harder course and gave it to her again in 7th. Now, she is more than ready to start Algebra 1 in 8th grade.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    May 5 at 9:20 AM
    8th grade for us. I didn't start till 9th grade and failed because it went too fast. I had to go back and take pre algebra. Amazing how different homeschooling is than a traditional. I think it depends on the needs of the child. My son wants to take a python class in 8th so we need to do pre algebra in 7th. I don't think there is a right age especially when you are homeschooling. It is very easy to back track when you are homeschooling. I also plan on still doing a lot of math Projects.
  • TidewaterClan
    May 5 at 9:30 AM

Wonderful test grades!  We'll stretch it out too. I love having the freedom to finish the books without the stress of a time limit.

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

We're doing Algebra 1 now (7th grade) because I felt ds was ready.   He's using Teaching Textbooks, which starts out with lots of review.  He began the program in March, he's up to Lesson 25, and is doing very well so far (getting a 92 on both tests).   We'll probably stretch this into 8th grade.  No rush.  I'd rather go slowly where he has full understanding, than try to get done quickly.  

So, yeah, go for it if you feel she's ready.

• TidewaterClan
    May 5 at 9:44 AM

TT sounds like a great segue into algebra.  I'll write that down in case this is too much right now.

I'm sure next year will be less stressful for your son with the confidence, and great grades backing him up.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: We.did the TT pre-algebra this year and it was a lot.of.review since he had done Math U See previously and had a grasp of the basics of it. It has actually.been a huge confidence booster.for him to get mostly 100%s and a few in the 90s. We.probably should have just done Algebra this year (8th) but he used to struggle a lot with math so we took it slow.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts