Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Chasing3
can I share a student project? and get thoughts?
May 1 at 4:47 PM

this is my 10 year old, end of 4th grader's work. He reads pretty well and the book was obvioulsy easy for him - he started it this morning and finished the report today!

I asked him to write a book report yesterday (we need some portfolio work to hand in to the district in a month!) and he got really upset and teary that he can't write a book report. So I showed him pictures on-line of ideas like this one. He read the entire book independently this morning in probably less than 2 hours! So we just moved along! He has not ever been very good at working independently on assigned work, but has made a lot of progress this year. I helped him with each card, as in said, "Do a card for a prediction. Do a card for Characters. Do a card for questions for the author..." I did help him explicitly with problem and solution, and we talked about if it was really a book about shark attacks or was it a book about how friends get along? So I like to think that is more me teaching about conflict and resolution in literature, than it is me doing the work for him - does that sound about right? I guess I'm a little insecure that the level of work is ok or that he needs too much support from me. Parts of it are done with the computer and I help with that because otherwise he'd print out a million pages, and I know I can consolidate the typing on the same page as the shark pics, etc. to save paper and toner.

thanks!

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    May 1 at 5:11 PM

I think it looks great!!  I've seen some late middle school work that was not that nice.  Seriously!  Tell him good job!

• LostTheSlipper
    May 1 at 5:58 PM

That's sweet. I'm gonna steal it!

• KickButtMama
    May 1 at 7:17 PM

Love it! I think it's perfectly acceptable to give that type of help. He'd get it from a teacher in PS, they don't just assign it and then wait for the final product, right?

• Chasing3
    May 1 at 8:01 PM

yeah, come to think of it, PS would assign it and then half the parents would do all the work at home!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Love it! I think it's perfectly acceptable to give that type of help. He'd get it from a teacher in PS, they don't just assign it and then wait for the final product, right?

• TJandKarasMom
    May 1 at 8:54 PM
    I think it's perfect for his grade! And you instructing him is not the same as doing it for him..it's you teaching him, and that's your job! So I say great job to both of you!
  • collinsmommy0
    May 1 at 11:26 PM
    That's really cool!
  • mem82
    by mem82
    May 2 at 6:41 PM

Very cool!

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 2 at 6:42 PM

I think you gave just the right amount of support.

• coala
    by coala
    May 2 at 7:43 PM

I think that looks pretty cool.

• KrissyKC
    May 2 at 9:28 PM
    I have a 4th grader and that would be great for him.

At this age, he can do stuff he is familiar and comfortable with on his own, but still needs help seeing actual examples before being able to produce his own.

Show him this way on two or three different ways to do a report and then let him try one on his own more. You can still help with the computer use and stuff.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN