Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bluecalm
Argh, he wrote on my computer!
April 30 at 2:48 PM
My son is 6, nearly 7. He does some computer work every day. One is Reading Kingdom which he likes. I keep his session to about 20 minutes and I'm in and out checking on him. The other day he spit all over the screen. I made him clean it up and told him to never spit on it again. Well, just now while I was doing speech hw with my LO I heard silence so I went to check on my 6 year old. He had written all over the screen with a ballpoint pen and was in the process of putting stickers all over. I just about blew a gasket! Thank goodness the electronic wipes got it all off. He's sitting on his bed right now while I simmer down and plan what's next.

WWYD? I'm leaning towards written work only for awhile since he clearly likes to write so much. Actually he doesn't like writing and is slow at it.

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    April 30 at 4:16 PM

I'd take away computer work for a while.  So sorry, Momma!  It's so rough when they inappropriately use your stuff!

• jamelame
    April 30 at 4:17 PM

If he struggles with writing it sounds like he needs more practise with it, punishment or not.

• Bluecalm
    April 30 at 5:16 PM
    When I asked him why, he made it sound like the pen leapt into his hand and forced him to write on the screen. At least I didn't hear "I dunno". I told him since he likes to write soooooo much I did not want to deprive him of the opportunity to do all his work by hand.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'd take away computer work for a while.  So sorry, Momma!  It's so rough when they inappropriately use your stuff!

• melindabelcher
    Mel
    April 30 at 7:00 PM

Yah my kiddos would be losing access to any electronics for a set amount of time appropriate for their age. 

• KickButtMama
    April 30 at 8:29 PM

My eldest did something similar when he was younger. I'd say it's definitely time to put the independant computer work on hold for a while. My son was horrified to realize he'd be cut off from using the cool electronic device and instead have to do worksheets...lol. Good luck!

• bluerooffarm
    April 30 at 9:16 PM

LOL!  That sounds great!

Quoting Bluecalm: When I asked him why, he made it sound like the pen leapt into his hand and forced him to write on the screen. At least I didn't hear "I dunno". I told him since he likes to write soooooo much I did not want to deprive him of the opportunity to do all his work by hand.
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    April 30 at 11:22 PM
    Kids make rash decisions. I think loss of privilages and extra chores are in order. My son around that age decided that throwing eggs against our shed was a good idea. We raise chickens so it was a lot of eggs. He thought it was fun. He got in a lot of trouble and then a month later he did it again. Kids make poor impulse decisions at that age. I am not saying he shouldn't be punished but I just wanted to let you know that it is normal and I completely understand. My youngest had the hardest time learning to listen. He is now 10 and very well behaved. Hope your rest of the week goes better.
  • TJandKarasMom
    May 1 at 3:28 PM
    My youngest does a lot of mindless destructive things. When she's talking on the phone or listening to basically anything, she needs some kind of fidget or something to do...otherwise here are some things she has done: peeled wall paper off the wall, peeled paint of the wall, picked at bug bites until they bleed, stabbed herself with a pin, carved her name into a coffee table, and the banister, broken lots and lots of things that were not hers to break, drawn on walls, tables, herself, important documents. Seriously, she is 10.5. And I still have to pay attention to what's around her because she will pick up anything and fidget with it! Oh and if she doesn't have anything close enough to fidget with, she picks her nose and plays with her feet/socks/toes. Seriously, it's very annoying.

Anyway, I would agree that there should be a lot of handwritten assignments for a while! Hopefully he learns this time. I don't think my daughter ever will at this point...
  • tuffymama
    May 2 at 8:13 AM
    Quoting TJandKarasMom: My youngest does a lot of mindless destructive things. When she's talking on the phone or listening to basically anything, she needs some kind of fidget or something to do...otherwise here are some things she has done: peeled wall paper off the wall, peeled paint of the wall, picked at bug bites until they bleed, stabbed herself with a pin, carved her name into a coffee table, and the banister, broken lots and lots of things that were not hers to break, drawn on walls, tables, herself, important documents. Seriously, she is 10.5. And I still have to pay attention to what's around her because she will pick up anything and fidget with it! Oh and if she doesn't have anything close enough to fidget with, she picks her nose and plays with her feet/socks/toes. Seriously, it's very annoying.

Anyway, I would agree that there should be a lot of handwritten assignments for a while! Hopefully he learns this time. I don't think my daughter ever will at this point...

My brother! Urgh! He did things like this and he is my younger brother, so you know it REALLY frustrated me. My mother was oblivious. I was so relieved when he took up football because it got him out from under me. My little sister is a nervous fidget. She finally took up knitting, thank goodness.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN