Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
HeidiDJF
Speech therapy for 5 yr old? When should you go?
April 29 at 5:30 PM

My son has just turned 5, and has always drooled slightly, esp when sick. There are a few sounds he can't say clearly, but I have no idea what is normal for that age. I gently correct him if he says a sound that is wrong, but I don't know when to take him, and I dread the cost. Some weeks/months he doesnt drool at all, I just don't know what level this speech thing is at, it has me randomly stressed, and othertimes totally stress free. Does anyone have a 5 yr old who speaks perfectly (or do they all do at that age already)?! Thanks! :)

Replies

• melindabelcher
    Mel
    April 29 at 5:32 PM
    My kiddos were 100% clear by 3yo. My nephew is 6 and still unclear at times and in the public school and they've said nothing.
  • PinkButterfly66
    April 29 at 6:15 PM

My daughter was understandable at age 2.  What did the pediatrician say?

• DyslexiaParent
    April 29 at 6:52 PM

My DS had to have me as his "interpreter" because most people couldn't understand what he said.   When he started kindergarten, by October they had him in Speech.  A LOT of schools will screen homeschooled kids for speech-language problems, and that'd be free for you to at least find out where things stand.  Some school districts also provide speech-language services.  It'd be worth checking out if you really want to know and don't want to pay for a private eval.

• SamMom912
    April 29 at 7:31 PM

Your school district is responsible to do an evaulation if you request one. Youll need to contact your special education department. he will need a certain delay to qualify for services, but they should also be provided by your district free of charge. You will most likely have to provide transportation to the school for the service, but you may want to try it. 

SLPs are expensive, so I would definetly see if your son makes progress with the district before you take him private. Unless you have good health care. The SLP my son saw was 200 an hour, and we saw her for 30 minute sessions 1 x per week. Groups are good, so perhaps you can find a less costly speech group. 

• Bluecalm
    April 29 at 11:20 PM
    Not all districts service homeschooling children. Mine doesn't. At 5 he may still qualify for Child Search and then they will give him services.

Quoting SamMom912:

Your school district is responsible to do an evaulation if you request one. Youll need to contact your special education department. he will need a certain delay to qualify for services, but they should also be provided by your district free of charge. You will most likely have to provide transportation to the school for the service, but you may want to try it. 

SLPs are expensive, so I would definetly see if your son makes progress with the district before you take him private. Unless you have good health care. The SLP my son saw was 200 an hour, and we saw her for 30 minute sessions 1 x per week. Groups are good, so perhaps you can find a less costly speech group. 

• Bluecalm
    April 29 at 11:29 PM
    My insurance covers speech that is medically necessary. My LO gets it because he had repeated ear infections and had a hearing loss from it.

I'd suggest you go to the pedi about his drooling first. My son still drools some and is almost 4. He had to have a swallow test. His pulmonogist told me today he thinks he probably is aspirating even though he was cleared after the swallow test. Your son could have low tone in his tongue which my older son has or he could have oral sensory issues. From there the doctors he sees for the drooling can refer him for speech and you're more likely to get approved by insurance.
  • SarahNElijah
    April 29 at 11:46 PM
    I think there is a big difference between a few sounds wrong, and not being understandable... My daughter also just turned 5 and she is very gifted in speech IMO (she will use large words she has only heard once or twice, and picks up language much quicker than my 8yo son), but still has a few sounds she says wrong. She is very easy to understand, but says things like 'da' instead of 'the' and sometimes her r's sound a little more like w's.

If it is just a few sounds wrong, and he just turned 5, I would not worry too much just yet. :) But if it is enough that others cannot understand him, I think it is definitely worth looking into.
  • SamMom912
    April 30 at 6:51 AM

I guess its state by state then because in NY they are obligated. Regardeless if you are homeschooling, private schooling or attending the public all children are eligible for support services. I didnt realize it may not be all states.. 

So poster, if youre in NY..i know. You're covered. :) 

Quoting Bluecalm: Not all districts service homeschooling children. Mine doesn't. At 5 he may still qualify for Child Search and then they will give him services.
    Quoting SamMom912:

• SamMom912
    April 30 at 6:53 AM

Yes, great point about the low tone, oral motor delays as well as sensory issues. 

Is your son a good eater? Many kids with these issues are extremely picky eaters,  thats a big clue to weather you should remain passive or intervene sooner. :) 

Quoting Bluecalm: My insurance covers speech that is medically necessary. My LO gets it because he had repeated ear infections and had a hearing loss from it. I'd suggest you go to the pedi about his drooling first. My son still drools some and is almost 4. He had to have a swallow test. His pulmonogist told me today he thinks he probably is aspirating even though he was cleared after the swallow test. Your son could have low tone in his tongue which my older son has or he could have oral sensory issues. From there the doctors he sees for the drooling can refer him for speech and you're more likely to get approved by insurance.

• Bluecalm
    April 30 at 8:26 AM
    I think it's district by district here. Where I used to teach they offered speech to homeschoolers but stopped due to budget cuts.

Quoting SamMom912:

I guess its state by state then because in NY they are obligated. Regardeless if you are homeschooling, private schooling or attending the public all children are eligible for support services. I didnt realize it may not be all states.. 

So poster, if youre in NY..i know. You're covered. :) 

Quoting Bluecalm: Not all districts service homeschooling children. Mine doesn't. At 5 he may still qualify for Child Search and then they will give him services.

Quoting SamMom912:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts