Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Lordgodempress
Anyone HSing in Colorado?
April 27 at 1:07 AM

Hello,

Im new here and we have made the decision to homeschool our dd 7.  She would be going into 3rd grade next year.  She has an IEP for hearing aids and shes a little behind in reading (she also has dyslexia but it wont be officially diagnosed until after school lets out so wont be on her IEP).  Can anyone tell me about withdrawing her?   Since this will be done over the summer?  I know I have to send a letter of intent but do I have to notify anyone else?   I am worried because i've heard horror stories about school districts not wanting to let children with IEP's be homeschooled.  Any advice?    Also, I am a little worried about the testing rule...how rigourous is the testing, I just want to make sure I am teaching her everything she needs to know to pass the tests.    I'm sorry for so many questions but I'm having trouble finding info locally.  I have sent emails but no one has responded.

Replies

• Lordgodempress
    April 27 at 1:17 AM

BUMP!

• romacox
    by romacox
    April 27 at 9:03 AM

Welcome Lordgodempress

Home School Law In Colorado (includes Letter Of Intent information)

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    April 27 at 9:45 AM

You file your letter of intent with the district where you reside (if you've been doing choice prior in another district, I would let them know, also).  We gave a heads up to the school.  We pulled our oldest out in the middle of the year and the other four during the summer.  I also hedged my bets a bit and didn't tell the school until I was absolutely sure this was what we were doing.  The letter we received reminded us that the district is not obligated to provide any special ed/IEP services.

We did the ITBS this year with our 5th grader.  I didn't think the testing was too rigorous, but you can get sample tests (I think it's $15) to look them over and practice.  3rd is a hard year because it's their first year of having to be tested.  Unless she's taken the MAPs assessment before.  You can administer the test yourself at home, which is what I chose to do.  And I was happy I chose that route because my oldest talked NON STOP during the testing.  I can't imagine how much of his mental power would have been taken away from the test just to keep himself quiet in a school!

All in all, I find it easy to homeschool in CO.  My hardest thing when we started (Jan '13) was that they're very hands off on what curriculum you choose and how you choose to teach.  So I was very lost when I started, but I'm very happy now that they're not dictating how I do things.

If you're looking at what is taught in CO schools at her grade level (and other good info), check out the CDE website:

http://www.cde.state.co.us/standardsandinstruction/coloradostandards

We're also choosing to put the kids in a homeschool charter next year.  It's one day a week publicly-funded schooling that is supplemental to home learning.  Like a co-op.  We've gone with Options, it's out of Aurora schools, but we're in Thornton attending in Brighton.  There are several choices in schools like that that you can look into.  I have a couple very social children who would like to have more interactions with children.

• Lordgodempress
    April 27 at 1:33 PM

Thank You!! This helped a ton.  

Quoting hwblyf:

You file your letter of intent with the district where you reside (if you've been doing choice prior in another district, I would let them know, also).  We gave a heads up to the school.  We pulled our oldest out in the middle of the year and the other four during the summer.  I also hedged my bets a bit and didn't tell the school until I was absolutely sure this was what we were doing.  The letter we received reminded us that the district is not obligated to provide any special ed/IEP services.

We did the ITBS this year with our 5th grader.  I didn't think the testing was too rigorous, but you can get sample tests (I think it's $15) to look them over and practice.  3rd is a hard year because it's their first year of having to be tested.  Unless she's taken the MAPs assessment before.  You can administer the test yourself at home, which is what I chose to do.  And I was happy I chose that route because my oldest talked NON STOP during the testing.  I can't imagine how much of his mental power would have been taken away from the test just to keep himself quiet in a school!

All in all, I find it easy to homeschool in CO.  My hardest thing when we started (Jan '13) was that they're very hands off on what curriculum you choose and how you choose to teach.  So I was very lost when I started, but I'm very happy now that they're not dictating how I do things.

If you're looking at what is taught in CO schools at her grade level (and other good info), check out the CDE website:

http://www.cde.state.co.us/standardsandinstruction/coloradostandards

We're also choosing to put the kids in a homeschool charter next year.  It's one day a week publicly-funded schooling that is supplemental to home learning.  Like a co-op.  We've gone with Options, it's out of Aurora schools, but we're in Thornton attending in Brighton.  There are several choices in schools like that that you can look into.  I have a couple very social children who would like to have more interactions with children.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN