Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Cafe MichelleP
What is Your Biggest Homeschooling Regret?
April 26 at 11:39 AM

What is your biggest homeschooling regret?

Was it not starting sooner? A particular curriculum? Joining a co-op, not joining a co-op? Choosing one method over another?

Share your experiences!

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    April 26 at 1:45 PM

Nothing too serious, lol.

I regret my attempt at classical education. I'm a language and literature bent kind of gal, but my children are maths and science bent (like my husband). My eldest HATED classical education, and thrives much more with a traditional scholastic approach, heavy on the maths and sciences; my son prefers the same. If I'm honest, we ALL prefer a more school-at-home traditional scholastic approach - it's where I teach best. Looking back, I have some serious qualms with the classical approach, including but not limited to that most of the resources, as written, are ridiculously science and math "lite".

• debramommyof4
    April 26 at 1:55 PM
    I wish I had left k12 sooner.
  • Codysmom2106
    April 26 at 3:04 PM

Not starting when I originally wanted to

• Chasing3
    April 26 at 4:51 PM

ive only been at this since Sept with one kid, but I regret buying a few pieces of curriculum. I got them becuse they were very "public school" and I didn't know if I'd get any type of hassle from the district on approving my home ed plan, so I purposely got them to appease bureaucrat people that I didn't even know, nor had any idea what they were thinking or if they even cared!! SO, next year, I"m buying fewer curriculum books like your standards school-type workbooks and textbooks and am going to focus instead on real children's literature books and student-created projects to go along with them.

I can't say this part is a true regret: but I do spend a lot of time wondering if I could have/should have tried to homeschool all my kids from K throught grade 5... I think they'd be better readers and writers at this point if I had. But,  I surely did not know then what I know now, so it could have been a dismal failure too.

• ablackdolphin
    April 26 at 6:35 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure that I have one yet.  I went to my first expo when DD was 18 mo, knowing she needed to be HS'd.  I like our programs and so far it's going really well.  Sure there are days where I could plan a little more or focus a bit more but I also know that we're so far ahead that it just doesn't matter in the big scheme of her education thus far.

I do wish that I knew another language.  DH speaks only French (he is also fluent in Spanish) to our kids and I wish I could offer another to give them that advantage but we will just deal with that in the future.

• paganbaby
    April 26 at 8:26 PM

My biggest regrets are not pulling him out sooner (think kindergarden) not trusting myself to do it on my own, and my biggest one, not trusting him enough to unschool sooner.

• coala
    by coala
    April 27 at 12:28 PM

I don't have one yet!!!  I'm sure I will someday, but it hasn't happened in the 3 years since we started.

• bluerooffarm
    April 27 at 2:29 PM

When I look back over our homeschooling career, everything that I regret has the positive note of leading us to where we are.  If I had just done it from the beginning, I may have gotten discouraged and put them back in which would have been even more of a set back.  If we hadn't tried K12, I wouldn't have gotten my feet under me and learned to let go.  If I hadn't tried the curriculums that weren't a good fit, I wouldn't have tried designing my own for some of them.  And doing science and language arts on our own has been such an amazing success!  So yeah, I regret staying with K12 a long time, I regret using the Delights book for language arts, but I wouldn't be on this path right now.

• Octobersmom
    April 27 at 2:41 PM

I don't have one yet.  She's doing well, she's happy, that's what matters.

• ambcortez
    April 27 at 2:45 PM

Not starting sooner.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts