Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TJandKarasMom
Surprise from MIL....
April 26 at 7:49 AM
I don't know how many of you know, but my mil was not supportive at all when I told her we decided to HS. She thought it was a horrible idea, she questioned for my sons socialization and my daughter as well...I tried to reassure her in so many ways but she just didn't like the idea. I decided to stop wasting my breath trying to prove myself and to just show her. (We live with her, so this hasn't always been easy)!

Well, two days ago she gave me an envelope and said "I got this for you, well your family, from my work auction." It is a family membership to the art museum! DS and DH do not enjoy the art museum at all...but I really felt like it was her way of saying "hsing hasn't been so bad, you're doing ok" and offering a little support!

Maybe just showing her has actually started working! (Maybe DH pointing out that mil went to private school helped a bit too...just the point that her mom did what she thought was best, just like we are doing).

Replies

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    April 26 at 8:03 AM

That is so awesome!

• irvinehiker
    April 26 at 9:35 AM
    What a thoughtful gift! Sounds like your relationship is taking a positive step forward!
  • AmyMamie
    April 26 at 12:11 PM

I think it can make a big difference in a family member's attitude when they see you following a scheduled homeschooling routine.  When we announce that we're going to HS, they immediately picture kids lazing around & nothing actually happening on a regular basis - just sporadic learning.  Once they observe that you really have it planned out and are sticking to the plan, they start to relax inside.  It sounds like you MIL is doing that, finally. :)

Have fun at the museum, and I'm SO jealous!  We live near a city of 65,000 people, and there are NO museums, NO zoo.  I hate it!!

• Bluecalm
    April 26 at 2:14 PM
    Nice!
  • KickButtMama
    April 26 at 2:35 PM

YAY! I know I was floored when my MIL started being supportive. Good for you on sticking through it!

• dizzy91
    by dizzy91
    April 27 at 7:31 AM

That's awesome. :) 

We're not homeschooling yet, but my mom thinks it's horrible of us to even consider it. She laughs and says she won't allow it. So glad she lives in Georgia, and we live in New York. She has no say in anything either way. Family members can be so stressful.

• coala
    by coala
    April 27 at 10:22 AM

I hope you all have a great time there.  Maybe get your son to go and if he takes an interest in a specific artist then have him do a little research on that one and learn some more.

BTW I'm glad your MIL is coming around!!

• KrissyKC
    April 28 at 9:37 PM
    I really don't understand why they think they can allow or disallow people to do anything. I have heard this a lot.

Like when I told my folks I was pregnant. You would have thought I was sixteen. Instead of being a married woman with two other kids that they def did not help me raise in any way.

Quoting dizzy91:

We're not homeschooling yet, but my mom thinks it's horrible of us to even consider it. She laughs and says she won't allow it. So glad she lives in Georgia, and we live in New York. She has no say in anything either way. Family members can be so stressful.

• TidewaterClan
    April 28 at 9:57 PM

What a sweet present!  I'm glad she's making those gestures.

We love the art museum.  We take colored pencils, have a seat, and sketch out the drawings.  You can tell what we were looking at, but no worries about them passing for forgeries, lol. :)  

• TJandKarasMom
    April 29 at 8:06 AM
    My mil..when DH told her we were going to the town hall to get married said "no you're not." Lol. We do live with her, and did at the time..we kept putting it off bc it wasn't the 'right' time. Then about three years ago (after being together for 7.5 years, engaged for 4.5 years) I finally said screw it, it's about time we just sign the paper and change my name! I don't need a fancy wedding. She didn't like that she had to "explain" it to her youngest...who was 17 at the time. I'm pretty sure he didn't need an explanation. He lived with us too, lol.

Anyway, be grateful your mom lives so far away, lol. I wish we didn't live with my mil, or close to my parents. We just have to remember to do what's best for our kids, no matter what other people think.

Quoting dizzy91:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts