Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Lil_MissFaye
online options
April 20 at 10:35 PM

Does anyone use online homeschool options? I''m considering k12 for my son for next year. He is finishing 3rd grade in public school in Oklahoma and I just feel that it would be a much better option for us. If anyone has any advice or opinions about it, please feel free to share them with me. I'd appreciate it. I've never home schooled before.

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    April 21 at 6:07 AM

How To Home School discusses that option, and other methods used by home educators. K 12 is much like what children learn in public school.  Is that working for him?  If  not you might want to look into his learning style, and go from there. 

• bluerooffarm
    April 21 at 8:20 AM

We hated K12 and began traditionally homeschooling in the middle of last year when I pulled them out of K12.  It was probably a good stepping stone for us, but if I had it to do over again, I would have skipped that step and gone straight to traditional homeschooling.  

Remember that you do not have to do every single activity they give you in each lesson or you will spend way too many hours each day on the work!  Remember that you know what's best for your child and you spend each day teaching just your child, so if you disagree with their recommendations.... speak up!  They will call you the learning coach, but you are just as much the teacher as the online teacher assigned to your child.  Those are all things that would have made my journey easier.  Good luck!  It's a fun journey.

• mem82
    by mem82
    April 21 at 8:21 AM
    Good luck! The biggest complaint I hear is that it takes up way more time than regular home school.
  • Lil_MissFaye
    April 21 at 2:53 PM

Thanks for your responses. I talked to a representative from k12 and know someone who uses it with her high school student and they like it. I thought it might be a good option for at least our first year since I have no idea what I'm doing and I don't want him to miss out on anything because *I* don't know what to do.

• jadedcynic
    April 21 at 3:26 PM

We're going through a school called Sequoia Choice. They attended their brick and mortar charter school a few years back before we moved and they loved it, now we're trying the online option which is the same curriculum at home.

• bluerooffarm
    April 21 at 4:09 PM

Quoting Lil_MissFaye:

Thanks for your responses. I talked to a representative from k12 and know someone who uses it with her high school student and they like it. I thought it might be a good option for at least our first year since I have no idea what I'm doing and I don't want him to miss out on anything because *I* don't know what to do.

It is really a great way to get your legs under you.  You can get teaching right away, someone else picks the curriculum which was daunting for me at the beginning, you get to see how well your children learn with you as the teacher, you don't have to worry about your states homeschooling laws yet.  It can really and truly be helpful!

Just remember that you can leave at any time.  No matter what they tell you.  If you don't like the curriculum or the way learning is happening, you can always look up your state's laws and get started homeschooling even in the middle of the year!  

• paganbaby
    April 22 at 12:09 AM

I think k12 is good when you're just starting out. We used it for a year then I went on my own. It's a nice way to transition.

• paganbaby
    April 22 at 12:10 AM

It can seriously take Forever!

Quoting mem82: Good luck! The biggest complaint I hear is that it takes up way more time than regular home school.

• KickButtMama
    April 22 at 12:56 AM

We haven't used k-12 as it's not free in my state. But we use ixl.com and time4learning.com and the boys like it.

• ablackdolphin
    April 22 at 1:13 PM

I haven't used it but everything I hear from friends (not on CM) say it's a TON of work and sometimes just feels like busy work.

We've used Time4learning (LOVE IT), IXL (math), Reading Eggs (feels like games but it's fun) and Ooka Island (reading type game).

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts