by Mary Fischer
Kids. They sure have a way with words sometimes, don't they? On the one hand, they keep us on our toes and in a way, they also help keep us young.
But then there are those times when something so outrageous comes out of their mouths that ultimately reminds us that we're most definitely not cool anymore. As in we're washed up. Aging. OLD.
In fact, just the other day, my son discovered one of those Viewmaster slide viewers in my mom's basement -- and he's been mesmerized by the damn thing ever since. He's so obsessed that he told me he wants to "start collecting vintage items ... from the 1980s."
(Are you freakin' kidding me? I think I just found another gray hair.)
But I guess his comment was pretty tame compared to others. Check out 15 things kids have said to their parents that made them feel beyond old and then some.
- "Were you alive when Lincoln was president?
- "Was there TV in the 1970s?"
- "What are cassette tapes?"
- "Did you use typewriters back in the olden days when you were in school?"
- "How do you know this song? Did they have radio way back when you were little?"
- "You didn't have cell phones when you were little?"
- "Were you alive when electricity was invented?"
- "Did you know Harriet Tubman?"
- "Mommy, what are VCRs?"
- "Did you have blenders when you were a kid?"
- "Have you ever seen Star Wars? It's a really old movie."
- "What is this?" (Said while pointing to manual window handle in the car.)
- "What's a bottle opener?"
- "They dressed really weird. It must have been in the olden days, huh?" Said while watching The Wedding Singer
- "Are you turning 85 this year dad?" Said to a dad in his 30s.
What does your kid say to make you feel old?
April 20 at 11:45 AM
Near mother's day last year, the daycare kids didn't believe we (the teachers) had mothers. "You're too big!"
Just yesterday my youngest was watching the Smurfs movie. He came to me and started telling my there was this wizard guy and his cat...so I interrupted and said Gargamel and Azriel. My son stopped in his tracks and asked how I knew the names. I explained that I used to watch the smurf cartoon as a kid. He said, "wow, the movie didn't seem like it was that old" punk!