Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
paganbaby
Living like a Colonist! Update page 2
April 11 at 11:16 AM

I'm so excited to start today! We've been learning about life in the colony for the past couple of weeks and now I'm ready to break out some hands on stuff.

Here are the things I have planned for today

1. Making candles (from tea candles and crayons)

2. Weaving a rug (with strips of old t-shirts)

3. Making butter and homemade corn bread

4. Making a Jacobs ladder

5. Making a list of everything that uses electricity in our house

6. Using no electricity all day. Dun dun dun.....LOL

I'll post pictures and updates as soon as I can.

Replies

• MommyCat2_3n1
    April 12 at 11:52 PM

HOW FUN :)  Can't wait to see how it's gone!!

• LostTheSlipper
    April 13 at 1:17 AM

I so would love to plan a "pioneer day" amongst other homeschooling families. I don't have the space though and not sure how to go about it at a place like a park or something, and don't really know if people would jump onboard with it.

We did it in 4th grade in school. Various activities.... I think HSers would love it!

• Jenn8604
    April 13 at 1:19 AM
    Will you be using an old fashioned camera where they have to sit still for 3 hours to take the pictures? :)
  • TidewaterClan
    April 13 at 10:09 AM

We make our own candles.  I usually use a big sack of soy chips, but ran out.  This sack is bees wax I got on clearance and it smells like heaven.

Anyhow, soy melts super easy in the pouring pot, and doesn't require a boiler set up.  The wicks have metal bases and I hot glue those to the bottom of our jars.  

They'll be doing old-fashioned candle dipping at the historical park on Tuesday so I'll take a picture for you if you like.

• paganbaby
    April 13 at 11:38 PM

I would so do that with you! lol

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

I so would love to plan a "pioneer day" amongst other homeschooling families. I don't have the space though and not sure how to go about it at a place like a park or something, and don't really know if people would jump onboard with it.

We did it in 4th grade in school. Various activities.... I think HSers would love it!

• MommyJo31
    April 13 at 11:56 PM

I'm so excited to hear how this goes and so proud to see you taking charge and showing your kids something new!  Please share your feelings on how it went and what they tought of all of it.  

• paganbaby
    April 14 at 11:11 AM

I think I just might,lol. Thank you for the idea! I just looked it up and we could make a pinhole camera using an oatmeal box. I see another post coming on...

Quoting Jenn8604: Will you be using an old fashioned camera where they have to sit still for 3 hours to take the pictures? :)

• Jenn8604
    April 14 at 12:50 PM
    YW :)

Quoting paganbaby:

I think I just might,lol. Thank you for the idea! I just looked it up and we could make a pinhole camera using an oatmeal box. I see another post coming on...

Quoting Jenn8604: Will you be using an old fashioned camera where they have to sit still for 3 hours to take the pictures? :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts