Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bluecalm
Speech IEP, WWYD?............. UPDATE
April 10 at 3:11 PM

My 3, almost 4 , year old receives private speech for a severe articulation delay caused by hearing loss before he got tubes. His language and academics are on target. I had him evaluated by Child Search and his IEP is tomorrow. The speech therapist told me she plans to put him in a 75 minute preschool type session which has kids with all sorts of needs and all the different therapists work with them too. The other option is a 30 minute speech only private session. She had a real attitude and talked down to me on the phone, ugh. I don't do snotty school professionals well.

Anyway, I don't want him in a preschool setting since I plan to always hs him, he doesn't need other therapy, I don't want him in a group of kids " socializing" with them, and I don't want him exposed to any sick kids because he has a compromised immune system. I didn't know about these preschool therapy groups when I started.

Any ideas of how I can convince her to put him in the private session? I don't think she'd appreciate most of my reasons. :) And if she won't put him in the individual session do I just not sign the IEP?

Whew, the IEP actually went very well. The SLT has a MUCH better personality IRL than on the phone. I had both kids with me and she invited them to play and then chatted with my LO about the toys to do an informal assessment. She offered the preschool therapy which was twice a week for 75 minutes each. I told her the program sounds really good, which it did, but said I'd prefer the twice a week, 30 minute sessions which will be with one other child. I was honest and told her I didn't want to introduce him to a preschool setting when I didn't intend to send him to school and she said she absolutely understood. Whoa. I also told her about him getting sick easily and she said she sees another child who has a severe issue with her immune system.

She was really quick to agree to the semiprivate sessions. Part of it though is she realized he wouldn't fit in with the other kids in the group. She said she wouldn't classify his speech delay as severe like the dx, but as moderate and said it is much better than most of the other kids in the group. She also said he is very bright. He'll be eligible to get speech until he's 6 though she thinks it won't take that long to correct his speech.

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    April 11 at 6:59 PM

Awesome Update!  Sounds like it's working out well!  :-)

• Bluecalm
    April 11 at 7:16 PM
    I'm pleased with how it went. When I figured out this means we will have 5 therapies a week to attend between both kids(4 speech,1 PT) I did kind of cringe especially since 4 of them will be on the same day. Yikes!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• bluerooffarm
    April 11 at 7:18 PM

Wow!  That will be a busy day!  Maybe you can find something fun to do to round out that day?  Cause seriously that sounds exhausting.  But I'm an introvert interacting that much is trying to me.

Quoting Bluecalm: I'm pleased with how it went. When I figured out this means we will have 5 therapies a week to attend between both kids(4 speech,1 PT) I did kind of cringe especially since 4 of them will be on the same day. Yikes!
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

• TJandKarasMom
    April 11 at 7:36 PM

So excited that it went well!  And so nice that she was nice in person, that will make it easier to trust her working with him :)

• Bluecalm
    April 11 at 8:08 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Wow!  That will be a busy day!  Maybe you can find something fun to do to round out that day?  Cause seriously that sounds exhausting.  But I'm an introvert interacting that much is trying to me.

Quoting Bluecalm: I'm pleased with how it went. When I figured out this means we will have 5 therapies a week to attend between both kids(4 speech,1 PT) I did kind of cringe especially since 4 of them will be on the same day. Yikes!
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

I usually try to do something fun Monday afternoons and then we stay home most Tuesdays . I'm like you, I can only take a certain amount of interactions before I need to recharge.

• katyq
    by katyq
    April 13 at 1:27 PM

I have two nieces that had speech issues...one was barely intelligible when she spoke and each were speaking perfectly within their first year of speech therapy. It can work very fast for many children. :)

• mem82
    by mem82
    April 14 at 9:23 PM

All's well that ends well, right? 8)

• Bluecalm
    April 14 at 9:36 PM
    His first session went okay and he liked the boy he's paired with. I'm glad we agreed to put him in the semiprivate setting.

Quoting mem82:

All's well that ends well, right? 8)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts