Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
School wont let me *UPDATE*
April 4, 2014 at 9:03 AM
My ds is at a traditional school or some would say brick & motor. The school wont let be transfer my kid because i do not have another school for him. I told them i would homeschool. They said they have to do it through a school. But im tired because every few weeks they call me about behavior issues. And it little things like laughing or staying in line. Yet they tell me he is smart. I just want to be done. What can i do? They also said i would be in trouble with dcp. I am contacting a lawyer. I wouldnt pull him if i didnt think they were trying to parent my kid. Told me my kid needs an intervention. Mind you he only in kindergarten.

UPDATE So i offically pulled my ds today. The school told me that i had to go to The board of Ed . The school board gave me info on homeschooling and said all i need to do is to write a letter of intent to home school. Even though in nj that isnt required. But im glad im done with that school! I want to thank you ladies so much for your advice.


  • snowangel1979
    April 4, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    What state? Different states have different rules/laws.
  • MamaLauri
    April 4, 2014 at 9:22 AM

    It is damaging for him to have a non-supportive teacher at this young age. It can shape his idea of school in a way that is lasting. Do they have more than one class? Can you transfer him to another teacher or to first grade? 

    My youngest was bored in class at that age, I had him promoted (he tested twice, a year apart before they would promote him.) It made a HUGE difference.

    I am certain your lawyer has told you to document what they say are behaviors that need intervention. Examine the list to see if you see a pattern. If he has executive function issues not in line with his age, there are activities you can do to help him grow (the teacher should be doing this, but if not you might need to fill in).

  • debramommyof4
    April 4, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    But none do not allow homeschool. So they are trying to bully you.

    Quoting snowangel1979: What state? Different states have different rules/laws.
  • bluerooffarm
    April 4, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    Maybe they need an affidavit? Our school in Pennsylvania needed a notarized affidavit and then I just stopped sending him once the certified letter had been signed by the homeschooling office. Good luck!
  • KickButtMama
    April 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM

     I agree with the others. Sometimes those that are the least knowledgable about the laws of homeschooling in an area are the Board of Ed. Educate yourself, print everything out. Follow the letter of the law. THen if they try to give you a hard time, you can tell them to kiss it. But if you need to send in a certified letter then you can't skip it. Follow the law.

  • hipmomto3
    April 4, 2014 at 2:20 PM

    Go to the HSLDA website and see what the laws are in your state. 

  • katyq
    by katyq
    April 4, 2014 at 2:33 PM

    All fifty states allow homeschooling. You can go to the hslda website to see what you need to do to notify in your state. For example, in Georgia Ihave to sent in a letter of intent to the board of education each year and that's it. Keep in mind that you do not need "permission" to homeschool, regardless of your home state, you simply need to find out in what way your state requires notification.

  • Proud-young-mom
    April 4, 2014 at 3:56 PM
    We are in nj. And my ds is 6.

    Quoting snowangel1979: What state? Different states have different rules/laws.
  • SarahinWA
    April 4, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    Here's the info on NJ laws: Good luck! That just sucks.
  • KickButtMama
    April 4, 2014 at 8:55 PM

    Quoting Proud-young-mom: We are in nj. And my ds is 6.
    Quoting snowangel1979: What state? Different states have different rules/laws.

    According to the research I've done, you don't even need to notify the board of Ed. Just send in a certified letter (so you get a receipt) that you will be withdrawing your child on such date. No reason given. Basically acting like you're moving to a different district. In your state you are under no obligation to prove your curriculum. The law states parents have to give an equivalent education to the public school...but the burden is on the state to legally prove you are not doing so. In other words it's NOT up to you to prove you will be giving sufficient education, it's up to THEM. If someone gives you a hard time then I'd print out tons of copies of the law with that section highlighted. Then shut the door in their face. Nuff said. Other than that, you just have to keep a portfolio. This isn't to prove anything (like annual testing) instead if the local board of Ed suspects you are not giving 'equivelant' education, they can start truency proceedings at the municipal level, and you just bring your portfolio as proof you ARE giving equivalent education. Sometimes you can forestall the truency proceedings with a list of the books/curriculum/etc you are using as well.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts