Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
jen2150
Do you use book clubs?
by jen2150
March 31 at 1:15 PM
Last week I signed my son up for one. He is going to be twelve this summer and is having his first meeting this Saturday. His first book is White mountains and is already asking to get the other books in the trilogy. I just found out the BBC made 2 season series in the 1980's. They recently released it on DVD. I am seriously considering getting the set. Unfortunately, it is not on netflix.

I also decided to join a book club as well. I thought since I signed my son up I should do it as well. My meeting is on Thursday and his on Saturday. I think it is going to be fun. My first book is true grit. It is a movie I loved watching as a kid with my Dad but never read the book. I am over halfway through it and I am loving it. Rooster Cogburn has always cracked me up. I was reading sections of the book to my husband and he was enjoying it. I am thinking of watching to movie again. I also just realized they redid the movie as well.

Just wanted to share the new journey we are starting. One of my favorite things about homeschooling is being able to do so many things together. I love encouraging them by doing it with them. I also love how they have helped mr to enjoy things now that I never enjoyed as a kid. Hope everyone is having a great day!

Replies

• KrissyKC
    April 1 at 10:24 AM
    My older two go to a library book club for 4th-6th graders. It is only 1 time per month though, and they usually have the book read the first day or two. They love the interaction with the other kids and librarians, so its worth it. Also because everything else we are involved in is either christian or homeschoolers. This club is secular and most of the kids are public schoolers. I like the diversity that offers.
  • kirbymom
    April 1 at 10:57 AM
    That is awesome that your son is asking for more reading material! Yay!
    It IS nice that we sometimes get to do or enjoy something as an adult, that we didn't as children, because of our own children. :)
  • paganbaby
    April 1 at 11:22 AM

I know! I'd be tap dancing if my kids did that,lol.

Quoting kirbymom: That is awesome that your son is asking for more reading material! Yay! It IS nice that we sometimes get to do or enjoy something as an adult, that we didn't as children, because of our own children. :)

• paganbaby
    April 1 at 11:23 AM

I went to a couple book clubs at the library as a kid but so far none of my guys seem very interested.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 1 at 12:43 PM

I have been apart of an online book club years ago My children have joined the library one for the last few years. We have a family book club (Hubby, me & the 3 children) where we all read the same book talk about it & if it has been made into a move/TV show or cartoon we watch it after reading the book & then compare them!

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    April 1 at 6:00 PM
    My youngest is the same way. He is old enough but is just starting to read on his own. The books they are doing are above him. I think he will enjoy it in a couple of years. Now if they had one for Garfield he would be all over it.

Quoting paganbaby:

I went to a couple book clubs at the library as a kid but so far none of my guys seem very interested.

• Leissaintexas
    April 2 at 11:50 AM
    Mine are so picky about what kinds of books they like that it would be a disaster to try a book club. DD has read Hunger Games, the Divergent Trilogy and The Faults in Our Stars and it seems like other YA books are just kind of lame or cheesy. She prefers Dean Koontz and Stephen King, not typical kid books.
  • JasonsMom2007
    April 2 at 11:52 AM
    There aren't any here
  • bcogoli
    by bcogoli
    April 2 at 12:04 PM

Our local library has one starting at 1st grade and they have a Daddy child one starting at 5th grade. Once my kids are old enough we will probably join. I love the idea of an online one for the adults.

• KickButtMama
    April 3 at 4:56 PM

I haven't found any in my area for my boys ages/reading levels

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN