Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
coala
OT: I hate playdoh!!!!!
by coala
March 29 at 7:04 PM

My little one has cabin fever from being sick and not really being able to run around and play much.  I invited her BFF over this afternoon and they have been into EVERYTHING.  We are talking from reading books, to playing Lego's, Babydoll's, watching movies, and the PLAYDOH.  I have found playdoh squished into the cracks on my dining room table, balls on the floor all over our great room, down the hall and into the bathroom.  I have found little tiny crumbs everywhere.  I just spent 20 mins trying to clear a place to feed these children dinner.

I can't wait for the LO to be able to go play with her friends outside.....they make less of a mess inside that way.  LOL  Just sidewalk chalk all over my driveway....I can handle that mess, I let the rain wash it away.

Replies

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    March 29 at 7:13 PM

I am no fan of the play doh.  My sons put a brown wad on the lid of my daughter's toilet.  Can freak a gal out when glancing in the bathroom.

• bluerooffarm
    March 29 at 7:22 PM

I hate the doh too!  Soon spring will be sprung and they can all go. the. heck. Outside!  :-)

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 29 at 7:26 PM
    Yeah it can make a mess!
  • Molimomma
    March 29 at 7:27 PM

I discovered the homemade stuff is 1000x better than the store bought. The store bought is WAY messier. I don't know why it's so crumbly or smeary but once I made some at home and saw the difference I won't buy the store stuff again. 

• bcogoli
    by bcogoli
    March 29 at 7:28 PM

I love play dough! We even make our own sometimes. I think i enjoy it more than the kids. lol.

• nostress67
    March 29 at 7:31 PM

I agree 100%!  When my kids were young I would never buy it.  Homemade was so much easier!

Quoting Molimomma:

I discovered the homemade stuff is 1000x better than the store bought. The store bought is WAY messier. I don't know why it's so crumbly or smeary but once I made some at home and saw the difference I won't buy the store stuff again. 

• coala
    by coala
    March 29 at 9:18 PM

Do either of you have a recipe I can try.  They LOVE it!!!  My MIL bought them a cake and ice cream set for Christmas and they are really into it, but I don't like the mess it makes.

Quoting nostress67:

I agree 100%!  When my kids were young I would never buy it.  Homemade was so much easier!

Quoting Molimomma:

• TidewaterClan
    March 29 at 9:23 PM

This is what I use, and we love it.  The Kool Aid makes the playdoh smell so good, and it has more vibrant colors too.  It'll stay super soft forever because it's more moist, so won't make the mess of store bought.

KOOL-AID PLAYDOUGH 
    1 c. flour
    1/2 c. salt
    1 tbsp. cooking oil
    2 tsp. cream of tartar
    1 pkg. unsweetened Kool-Aid
    1 c. water

Mix dry ingredients. Add oil and water. Cook over medium heat until mixture forms a ball. Pour onto waxed paper or bread board and knead. Store in airtight container.

Mixing it with Kool-Aid gives the dough surprising scents: lemon, cherry, lime, orange, and will last for weeks in an airtight container.

NOTE: If child eats this, it is non-toxic.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    March 29 at 9:53 PM
    We loved play doh! I still do but my kids think they are too old for it. @@

I always had them take it in the kitchen (linoleum or tile) and they werent allowed to take it out of that room so it wasnt a huge disaster.
  • KickButtMama
    March 29 at 10:21 PM

I was always considered the mean mom as I seriously limited messy things like playdough and fingerpainting. I just can't stand the mess. My poor deprived children.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN