Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
jstadt
aspiring homeschool mom
by jstadt
March 27 at 12:59 AM
Hi everyone,

I am new to the group. My name is Jen and my son is almost two. I want more than anything to home school him (and his future siblings). my fiance just agreed to let me open a family daycare in our home so I can stay home with our son. However, he doesn't necessarily agree with home schooling. He throws out all the arguments I hear from everyone else. I know you have heard them too.

So my question is did anyone have to go through the process of convincing their husbands to home school? What did you do/say? I have told him my own long list of reasons but so far it's not good enough. Granted, I have a few years before he would go into first grade but it's weighing a lot on my mind now.

Replies

• dizzy91
    by dizzy91
    March 27 at 2:42 AM

I'm sure you'll get some fantastic answers on here. 

I lucked out. My fiance was homeschooled. We both hated public school, and we're much more willing to homeschool. We had very bad experiences, and the school system in this area is horrible. 

I suggest really looking into the types of homeschooling. Do some research. Show him the pros and cons of homeschooling. Express just how much this means to you.

Look for things like homeschool co-ops and groups that get together. Even if you end up never using them, that can be used to combat the, "But they won't get socialized," argument. There are also programs like K12 that have programs through actual schools in most states, and they're entirely free if you go through those public options. They provide all the materials for free, and most of the schools have a few monthly outings for anyone who wants to come.

There are so many things out there that you'd never even imagine. He probably has no idea a lot of this stuff exists. Once you find the methods you think will work best for you, you can start presenting the information to him. 

I had to convince my very anti-homeschooling mom that this is okay for our child (not that I really care what she thinks, but it was better than her annoying me about it). After I presented information and showed how much I had put into the process, she was convinced it would be okay.

• crystalclear12
    March 27 at 2:45 AM

My husband had is doubts about it too. Well I homeschooled anyway and the proof is in the pudding! He backs me up now 100%! Good luck! 

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 27 at 6:18 AM

Men usually like the logical approach.  The following should be of help to you.

Why Home School

• youngartista
    March 27 at 9:59 AM

I'm fortunate that my husband is completely alright with this decision. The only questions i have heard are Why? , and Won't that be hard?  My answers are always the same. Because we find the education system actually holding our daughter back from her learning potential. She used to be interested in school (in FL) , then we moved to another state and they're behind. She wakes up every morning asking if she has to go. And 'Won't that be hard?" I think it's harder for me to have to make her do something that makes her miserable than to give up a little alone time at home when she (and her sister next year) are at school. I think it's more rewarding to see them learning something together and with me. I love it.

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 27 at 10:13 AM
    Hm, I don't know. Maybe ask to have first and second grade as 'test years' to prove iworks?
  • Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    March 27 at 10:31 AM
    Find things to back you up as well as answer his questions. A good example is if he questions about homeschoolers getting into college, find articles on homeschoolers who are successfully attending college. Also take a look at some college websites and show him how they are helping homeschoolers attend.
    Same for his other questions.
    Ask him to give you a trial year before completely dismissing the idea.
  • kirbymom
    March 27 at 10:53 AM
    Good advice!

Quoting Dawn07: Find things to back you up as well as answer his questions. A good example is if he questions about homeschoolers getting into college, find articles on homeschoolers who are successfully attending college. Also take a look at some college websites and show him how they are helping homeschoolers attend.
  • Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    March 27 at 11:04 AM
    Thanks! :)

Quoting kirbymom: Good advice!

Quoting Dawn07: Find things to back you up as well as answer his questions. A good example is if he questions about homeschoolers getting into college, find articles on homeschoolers who are successfully attending college. Also take a look at some college websites and show him how they are helping homeschoolers attend.
  • paganbaby
    March 27 at 11:07 AM

I didn't have this problem. For my son it was either drop out in 2nd grade or homeschool.

• kirbymom
    March 27 at 11:23 AM
    I would do some research on this and bookmark anything you feel is going to not only show what your point of view about the positives of Homeschooling but gives an overview to what he is having issues with about his fears on homeschooling. Since you have some time before this is a definite, start teaching him now. Teach him what he is capable of learning. You'd be surprised how much a little one can learn. Then your hubby can see for himself what homeschooling can do.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN