Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
KickButtMama
No Shaved Heads! (apparently)
March 26 at 5:37 PM

I'm actually a fan of dress codes in schools. I grew up in urban areas where lots of bullying because of what people were wearing happened daily. When homeschool is not an option, then I think schools should be a place of focused learning, not their idea of 'social judgement.'

But, recently I think things have gone too far. One post today (in our group) was about leggings being banned for distracting boys.....eh...I don't get it...but this? I think this is INSANE (and sick). A girl was suspended because she shaved her head because her best friend went bald due to her chemo treatment for cancer. I think that is such a beautiful thing. But apparently having lovely locks is a requirement for her school! What about the cancer patient, would they suspend her too? 

What do you think?

Girl Suspended Temporarily For Shaving Head

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. - A Colorado girl who shaved her head to support a friend who went bald because of cancer treatment was told she violated her school's dress code but will now be allowed to stay in class.

Kamryn Renfro, 9, of Grand Junction shaved her head to help friend Delaney Clements get through chemotherapy. Kamryn at first wasn't allowed to return to classes at Caprock Academy, the charter school she attends.

The academy later said she could return, and the school's board of directors met Tuesday evening and voted 3-1 to let her come back.

The (Grand Junction) Daily Sentinel reported that the school board's chairwoman had said that the school's the dress code is designed to promote uniformity and a non-distracting environment. She said exceptions can be made under extraordinary circumstances. The board voted Tuesday night to make Kamryn an exception.

Kamryn's friend Delaney, 12, has been battling cancer for years, and said sometimes her bald head made her stand out, reported CBS affiliate KREX in Grand Junction.

"People would sometimes call me a boy even though I was all dressed in pink," said Delaney.

Kamryn said shaving her head for her friend wasn't hard.

"I did it so she didn't have to feel left out," Kamryn said.

On Monday, Kamryn spent the day on the playground instead of her classroom, all because she violated school policy. Her mother says she emailed school officials explaining why the 9-year-old shaved her head, but received a call saying Kamryn could not come back to school.

"I was really excited that I would have somebody to support me and I wouldn't be alone with people always laughing at me," Delaney said. "I just want to say thank you for being a really good friend and actually being brave enough to do it, and not only caring about your hair."

Replies

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    March 26 at 5:49 PM

I'm a huge fan of blandness at schools.  Let's not go for the shock, the over-sexualized, the character shirts.  I was bullied, let's not give others some stupid reason to ostracize a poor kid.  But zero tolerance policies are the venue of the small minded.  They take away thought and judgment, free thinking, and the ability to say circumstances can be different in different cases.  And where do you see these policies?  Where we teach our kids to think.  YOU, child, should think.  I should not be ALLOWED to think and make a judgment.  Amazing the amount of thought that does NOT go on at the administration level.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 26 at 5:50 PM

What BS! I know a girl that has Alopecia she has to keep her headshaved all the time. What about those people? I think what the girl did to show her love & support of her friend is wonderful & should be admired not punished!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 26 at 5:55 PM

Looks like all kinds of children are getting removed from all kinds of schools over appearances. READ THIS 

• KickButtMama
    March 26 at 6:17 PM

Quoting usmom3:

What BS! I know a girl that has Alopecia she has to keep her headshaved all the time. What about those people? I think what the girl did to show her love & support of her friend is wonderful & should be admired not punished!

I agree! I thought it was such a beautiful gesture by this child! To have the school board have a meeting to discuss whether this girl "should be allowed back to class" is disgusting!

• KickButtMama
    March 26 at 6:33 PM

I can't believe it! She's "sexually immoral" for being a tomboy? Man, I was forced to keep my hair short as a child because my dad was in charge of my 3 brothers and I and made me get my hair cut at the same barbershop! I was in no way homosexual but we didn't have a lot of money and I was the only girl so I was also forced to wear my brothers hand-me-down clothes most of the time. 

i have several friends who have kids with gender identification conditions, diagnosed by the public school counselors! One has even allowed her 6 y/o to 'change' to follow their gender identification ('he' changed his name from Bastien to Isabella even). Since they now homeschool they have no problems with it, but I have been amazed that schools have policies on how to 'handle' kids that come in seeming to identify as different genders. I don't get it...when did elementary aged things (clothes, toys, etc) get such a gender divide? I mean, unless the kid is wearing a dress every day why push the issue...doesn't anyone think that by making such a huge deal out of it it might push the child's development one way or another....like tell a kid he's homosexual enough even he might believe it? Idk. I have zero problem with homosexuality, and I do completely understand those adults who identify w/ a different gender and seek re-assignment....but Pre-schoolers? Elementary Schoolers??? My eldest is going on 13. He liked the. Princess crowns and such when he was a preschooler because they were flashier than 'prince' stuff. If I painted my nails he asked for some too....now that he is older i in no way think he identifies as a girl...but if I had made a big deal of it? Who knows.

Quoting usmom3:

Looks like all kinds of children are getting removed from all kinds of schools over appearances. READ THIS 

• KickButtMama
    March 26 at 6:37 PM

I have to say I kinda chuckled at the 'blandness'...hehe. I never thought of it that way! Lol but I agree. Zero tolerance simply is doomed to failure with hundreds of kids in a school. I dislike "zero tolerance" and prefer "guidelines" give kids parameters and let them express themselves w/in those parameters. IMO

Quoting hwblyf:

I'm a huge fan of blandness at schools.  Let's not go for the shock, the over-sexualized, the character shirts.  I was bullied, let's not give others some stupid reason to ostracize a poor kid.  But zero tolerance policies are the venue of the small minded.  They take away thought and judgment, free thinking, and the ability to say circumstances can be different in different cases.  And where do you see these policies?  Where we teach our kids to think.  YOU, child, should think.  I should not be ALLOWED to think and make a judgment.  Amazing the amount of thought that does NOT go on at the administration level.

• somuchlove4U
    March 26 at 6:56 PM
    I don't agree with them suspending her. Schools need to lighten up a little.
  • hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    March 26 at 6:59 PM

Well and honestly, what is zero tolerance teaching anyone?  That our school personnel can't be trusted to tell the difference between a pop tart gun and a real gun.  That expressing anger and frustration is taboo, that Midol and cocaine are equivalent, and you'd better not be different than the crowd.  Because as we all know, mob mentality is best, so go with the mob.

Is Midol even a medicine any more, or am I that old?

Quoting KickButtMama:

I have to say I kinda chuckled at the 'blandness'...hehe. I never thought of it that way! Lol but I agree. Zero tolerance simply is doomed to failure with hundreds of kids in a school. I dislike "zero tolerance" and prefer "guidelines" give kids parameters and let them express themselves w/in those parameters. IMO

Quoting hwblyf:

• KickButtMama
    March 26 at 7:01 PM

Lol, I think Midol is still a medicine. I was talking with my friends teen daughter the other day and I said how I had my Motrin 'horse pills' prescription in my purse throughout Highschool because I suffered from headaches and back pain. She was amazed that I was arrested for carrying around my own prescription when she couldn't even bring 2 Tylenol tablets.

Quoting hwblyf:

Well and honestly, what is zero tolerance teaching anyone?  That our school personnel can't be trusted to tell the difference between a pop tart gun and a real gun.  That expressing anger and frustration is taboo, that Midol and cocaine are equivalent, and you'd better not be different than the crowd.  Because as we all know, mob mentality is best, so go with the mob.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting hwblyf:

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    March 26 at 7:07 PM

My mom was a clinic aid when the zero tolerance for drugs came about.  She honestly knew a student who was sent to rehab with the actual druggies for carrying Midol.  Brilliant.  What's the number one way to get involved in drugs?  Know who has 'em and where to get 'em.  Let's congratulate those administrators for introducing people who may not have known each other!

I also read about a school nurse who closed the clinic and locked the door because the student didn't have a signed note for his inhaler.  He was outside her door dying.  That's what zero tolerance does.  It binds hands.  Takes away thought.  It's an enabler.  Laws can't be written perfectly, that's why we're supposed to use our brains.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Lol, I think Midol is still a medicine. I was talking with my friends teen daughter the other day and I said how I had my Motrin 'horse pills' prescription in my purse throughout Highschool because I suffered from headaches and back pain. She was amazed that I was arrested for carrying around my own prescription when she couldn't even bring 2 Tylenol tablets.

Quoting hwblyf:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts