Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Silverkitty
Update 2 : Need some form of help.
March 25 at 12:04 PM

I like to plan.  Just so I know where I'm going in school and so I can show my hubby and we are on the same page.  Well for some reason my mind will not process what classes elementary, middle, and high school should have.  I know there are the basics and electives.  I'm curious what classes you do with your children at the various ages.   Not looking for curriculum, just the class, like science, history, foreign language, and phonics.  I sometimes feel I'm doing too much with my younger and not enough with my older.

~Update~

Thank you everyone for the information and help.  I've made a graph going from PK to 12th grade and then I added all the classes I'll be teaching over the years, 16 different classes.  Then I put a colored bar covering the years that will consist of the classes. Only 5 classes span all grade levels.  The rest either span the lower grades or the higher grades.  I feel better now that I know I'm doing well with my soon to be high schooler and that I need to cut back a little with my youngest.

~Update 2~

Picture!

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 25 at 12:29 PM

Hm, what grade? We're pretty loose in the younger grades. Some ideas for classes would be:

Health

Personal finance

American History

World History

Gym

Art

Geography

• debramommyof4
    March 25 at 1:00 PM
    I have preschool we go over alphabet and numbers and she sits in on lit with her brother and science and history with her sisters if she wants.

My kindergartener does math, reading, lit, and handwriting. He does science and history as he chooses.

My first grader is doing math, lit, writing, spelling, science, history and sign language.

My 2nd grader has the same classes as my 21st grader except she has Spanish instead of sign language

• Silverkitty
    March 25 at 1:10 PM

I have a preschooler and a seventh/eighth grader.

We have the basic history, science, math, language arts/literature.  I'm just trying not to do with my preschooler what I'm doing with my almost high schooler.  For some reason my mind keeps thinking we are forgetting something.

Quoting mem82:

Hm, what grade? We're pretty loose in the younger grades. Some ideas for classes would be:

Health

Personal finance

American History

World History

Gym

Art

Geography

• Silverkitty
    March 25 at 1:13 PM

Thank you.

My preschooler wants math and science, doesn't want anything else, but I'm wanting to add art and letters and reading history books geared to the lower grades.

Of course I'm also wanting to expose him to language and writing and a lot of things I'd do with my older, but the languages they want to learn are different. Oldest wants Japanese and youngest wants French and Spanish.

Quoting debramommyof4: I have preschool we go over alphabet and numbers and she sits in on lit with her brother and science and history with her sisters if she wants. My kindergartener does math, reading, lit, and handwriting. He does science and history as he chooses. My first grader is doing math, lit, writing, spelling, science, history and sign language. My 2nd grader has the same classes as my 21st grader except she has Spanish instead of sign language

• debramommyof4
    March 25 at 1:24 PM
    If you can afford it go for it. We use free Spanish resources and signing time this year. I am hoping to get each girl a tutor next year to just speak to them in their chosen language.

My younger two tend to sit in on some of the history and most of the science.

My youngest turns 4 in a month and she loved learning about the skeleton. We watched Stanley the Skeleton and she still asked to watch it.

Quoting Silverkitty:

Thank you.

My preschooler wants math and science, doesn't want anything else, but I'm wanting to add art and letters and reading history books geared to the lower grades.

Of course I'm also wanting to expose him to language and writing and a lot of things I'd do with my older, but the languages they want to learn are different. Oldest wants Japanese and youngest wants French and Spanish.

Quoting debramommyof4: I have preschool we go over alphabet and numbers and she sits in on lit with her brother and science and history with her sisters if she wants.

My kindergartener does math, reading, lit, and handwriting. He does science and history as he chooses.

My first grader is doing math, lit, writing, spelling, science, history and sign language.

My 2nd grader has the same classes as my 21st grader except she has Spanish instead of sign language

• Silverkitty
    March 25 at 1:40 PM

Mine will be 4 this fall.  Loves being read to so we do that all the time.  Loves dinos and space and anything hands on working on finding things for him.  Unfortunately he can't sit in on science or history since my daughter does those independantly.  One on the computer and the other is reading and writing.

Quoting debramommyof4: If you can afford it go for it. We use free Spanish resources and signing time this year. I am hoping to get each girl a tutor next year to just speak to them in their chosen language. My younger two tend to sit in on some of the history and most of the science. My youngest turns 4 in a month and she loved learning about the skeleton. We watched Stanley the Skeleton and she still asked to watch it.
    Quoting Silverkitty:

Thank you.

• bluerooffarm
    March 25 at 2:20 PM

With my preschooler we do: Math, Phonics, reading, handwriting, and art.

With my 1st grader we do: Math, Phonics, reading, spelling, handwriting, science, history, geography, art, music, and cooking.

With my very academic 9 year old we do: Math, spelling, grammar/mechanics, reading, handwriting, writing, science, history, geography, spanish, art, music, cooking, public speaking, and life skills (running a household and keeping a checkbook).

• NYCitymomx3
    March 25 at 4:38 PM

For elementary we did:  Grammar, Reading, Vocabulary, Spelling (Phonics in the younger grades), Cursive, Current Events, Geography, Social Studies (History), Science, Spanish, Typing, Religion, PE, Art, Music

For middle school:  Grammar, Literature, Writing, History, Science, Geography, Spanish, Religion, PE, Health

For high school:  Literature (American, British, World), History (Modern, World, US, Gov/Econ), Math (Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-Calc, Calc), Science w/lab (Bio, Chem, Physics, Advanced choice), Health, PE, Art, Technology, Foreign Language, SAT prep, Personal Finance, various electives

• AutymsMommy
    March 25 at 5:26 PM

Junior K (pre-k) goals: recite and know visually the alphabet, letter sounds (short vowels, consonants), begin to blend CVC words, count to 20 by 1's and by 2's, count to 100 by 10's, recognize numbers (visually) through 20, recognize all colors and shapes, patterns/sequencing, recite the Hail Mary and the table blessing.

Primary (K-2)

Phonics

Language Arts (spelling, writing, grammar)

Literature

Maths

Religion

Science

History

Music

Art Appreciation

Latin (starts in grade 1)

Logic / Critical Thinking

Elementary (3-8)

Religion

Language arts (grammar, spelling, writing)

Literature

Maths

Sciences

History/Geography (2 years geography - 1 american, 1 world, 1 year civics, 1 year american history, the rest world history)

Art Appreciation

Music

Latin

High School

Literature

Writing

Sciences

History

Religion / Apologetics

Latin

Music

Art Appreciation

Logic

• KickButtMama
    March 25 at 5:37 PM

This is along the lines of what we do, without the religion and we added in more foreign languages along side Latin (sign language  for under 4th grade, German & French for middle school, and we plan in learning Chinese for high school)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Junior K (pre-k) goals: recite and know visually the alphabet, letter sounds (short vowels, consonants), begin to blend CVC words, count to 20 by 1's and by 2's, count to 100 by 10's, recognize numbers (visually) through 20, recognize all colors and shapes, patterns/sequencing, recite the Hail Mary and the table blessing.

Primary (K-2)

Phonics

Language Arts (spelling, writing, grammar)

Literature

Maths

Religion

Science

History

Music

Art Appreciation

Latin (starts in grade 1)

Elementary (3-8)

Religion

Language arts (grammar, spelling, writing)

Literature

Maths

Sciences

History/Geography (2 years geography - 1 american, 1 world, 1 year civics, 1 year american history, the rest world history)

Art Appreciation

Music

Latin

High School

Literature

Writing

Sciences

History

Religion / Apologetics

Latin

Music