Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
SamuraiQueen
What Worked for You?
March 22 at 3:01 PM

I've been looking at Reading/Language Arts/Writing curriculum online and reading a ton of reviews. At this point, my head's about to explode from all the information out there, so I'd like to ask your opinion on what curriculum you're using to cover these 3 subjects. I'd like to try to stick to curriculum that "bundles" these subjects together, but I'm open to other suggestions.

My daughter is reading well on her own, knows all her phonics, can spell and write simple sentences/phrases, and can sit still for long periods to do classwork. I'm currently leaning towards McRuffy Language Arts 1st Grade because it comes with Reading and Writing, but I hesitate since the curriculum I'm using for math and science are very textbook based and not exactly "exciting" or colorful. So, I'd like to find curriculum that is more on the "fun" and easy side of things to break the monotony.

Any suggestions? Has anyone used McRuffy Language Arts? If not, what curriculum have you found you like best for K-1st grade? What are the  pros and cons of what you picked? Thanks for your input, ladies!

Replies

• KrissyKC
    March 23 at 3:52 PM
    I actually like the old fashioned approach that Rod & Staff uses.

I throw in fun writing projects and plenty of reading.

However, in the very early grades, I use a k12 phonics 1 for each of mine after we have done letter of the week projects.

I also love handwriting w/o tears.

Rod and staff spelling is easy enough to use with the english. They have a reading program too, but mine are such avid readers the I have them doing a higher grades literature program on and off.

I like rod and staff english because of how thoroughly it teaches and my kids are grasping it a lot with diagramming.
  • chotovec82
    March 23 at 5:42 PM
    Excellence in Writing, First Language Lessons, Sequential Spelling. We use Explode the Code for teaching phpnics/reading.
  • chotovec82
    March 23 at 5:44 PM
    We're also using Handwriting without Tears.

Quoting chotovec82: Excellence in Writing, First Language Lessons, Sequential Spelling. We use Explode the Code for teaching phpnics/reading.
  • SamuraiQueen
    March 24 at 9:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies! I will check all these out. :)

• KickButtMama
    March 24 at 10:52 PM

We used Readingeggs.com at that level. It is online and seemed way more fun than just reading out of.a textbook.

• jesusseesme
    March 25 at 8:00 AM

my friend likes sonlight. it's easy to follow.

• No_Difference
    March 25 at 8:27 AM

We've been using All About Reading (for my little guy), All About Spelling, Handwriting Without Tears, and WriteShop  Jr. (for my oldest she's 9) and we're starting WriteShop Primary (for my youngest, he's just about 5). For reading with my oldest we've bounced around a ton and we've yet to find something that works well with her so next year, I'm making a reading list that will correspond with history, and then have her write a book report on it (not a regular "boring" book report. I'm getting, Better Thank Book Reports, Creative Book Reports: Fun Projects with Rubrics, and How to Report on Books, so she has a ton of creative ways to present her reports).  
    WriteShop is more parent led though than independent work from my experience though... I haven't used Primary yet so I don't know what exactly it entails, but with Jr, the Fold N Gos have the grammar portion, and it is supposed to be applied into the writing from that point forward. 

• jwhit8791
    March 25 at 8:35 AM

I just got an invite to this for a free trial for 5 weeks.....definitely going to check it out.

Quoting KickButtMama:

We used Readingeggs.com at that level. It is online and seemed way more fun than just reading out of.a textbook.

• paganbaby
    March 25 at 10:42 AM

I don't think I'll be much help,lol. I don't use a curiculum for my 3rd grader. For writing, he writes notes, captions comic books, and texts. For reading he reads things on Minecraft, funny pictures, subtitles, jokes, ect. And that's about it for us.

• redhead-bedhead
    March 25 at 11:24 AM
    Currently we are only using All About Reading. When she finishes that we will be using All About Reading 2, All about Spelling, and Voyages in English.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts