Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Codysmom2106
I need ideas for science and history.
March 20 at 3:33 PM

I've been trying to use t4l and lesson pathways. We are on a budget so this has worked at first. I have been feeling like it's definitely lacking now though so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    March 20 at 3:45 PM

First, you need to remember that the cost of Time for Learning is $20/monthly; a typical school year being 10 months, this is $200/yearly. You could make an amazing curriculum at that cost!

For elementary science above grade 3, I love Ellen McHenry. In the years before that, I preference Behold and See, from Catholic Heritage Curriculum - it's very hands on, gentle, enjoyable, and solid.

For elementary history, SOTW. I wouldn't start the series with a child over the age of 8 or 9, as the books were never meant to be a middle or high school program. For older children I prefer Catholic Textbook Project's books (they have American history for grades 5/6 and world history for grades 7+).

• KickButtMama
    March 20 at 4:07 PM

For world history we did a combination of things including Story of the World. For US history we've used studiesweekly.com (which is like $8/year) and A People's History of the United States. I'm a huge science buff so science has never been based on out T4L  I've always built our science curricula.

• paganbaby
    March 20 at 4:24 PM

Right now we're doing Disgusting History *$13 at Barnes and Noble* and Horrible Histories *YouTube* Disgusting History has sections in Anceint Egypt, Roman Empire, Middle ages, Viking age, Colonial America, Golden age of Pirates, American Frontier and Civil War. I read a few sections a day and have ds tell me all the interesting things he remembers; I write them down in his notebook. DD prefers to anwer questions that I write in her history notebook, instead.

Science is similar. Ds picks out what topics he's interested in (sometimes I choose) I borrow the books from the library and we read a few sections/chapters. DD answers the questions and ds dictates to me.

• paganbaby
    March 20 at 4:25 PM

Fun, easy and best of all, cheap :-)

• ablackdolphin
    March 20 at 6:39 PM
    What age? We like apologia science books and magic school bus dvds books and experiment kits
  • ablackdolphin
    March 20 at 6:40 PM
    we love the who was books
  • Codysmom2106
    March 20 at 8:28 PM

Thanks so much ladies! I really appreciate all of the feedback. This helps a lot. 

• No_Difference
    March 20 at 8:40 PM

For history, Story of the World was pretty good, but it didn't work for our family
    I am making my own curriculum for world history for next year for history with www.timemaps.com as our "spine" and then I am using http://www.arbookfind.com/default.aspx to make up a book list to go with what we're studying, so essentially it is going to be free unless we buy "readers" that we can't find at the library. We haven't actually ever done US history yet, so I'm not sure what we'll use when we get there... 
    For science, we've used Real Science for Kids, and the early books just didn't feel like we were getting enough out of it for the cost, and I wasn't much thrilled with the "teacher's manuals"... Next year we're switching over to Elemental Science, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it goes well.  For the Biology Logic Stage level, we're doing all the extra labs, so everything with the cost of labs is costing  $235, but I now it can be done a TON cheaper (some labs can be viewed online, and many of the labs that are "required" are pretty inexpensive)... Real Science 4 Kids was costing us around $300 a year... I have heard that Real Science Odyssey is good though too, but I'm not sure on cost. 

Other ways to do science, pick a topic, and then check out books at the library, look up experiments to go with it, and then costs would go to experiment equipments or kits... That way you can go as deep into it as you want too :)  (I'm just really scared to do this again as the last time I did, my daughter was in 1st grade and asking me all about nuclear fussion - we were studying the sun lol) 

• Chasing3
    March 21 at 9:50 AM

thanks for the Horrible Histories recommendation!! Just watched episodes 1&2 on youtube this morning -- very funny!!

Quoting paganbaby:

Right now we're doing Disgusting History *$13 at Barnes and Noble* and Horrible Histories *YouTube* Disgusting History has sections in Anceint Egypt, Roman Empire, Middle ages, Viking age, Colonial America, Golden age of Pirates, American Frontier and Civil War. I read a few sections a day and have ds tell me all the interesting things he remembers; I write them down in his notebook. DD prefers to anwer questions that I write in her history notebook, instead.

Science is similar. Ds picks out what topics he's interested in (sometimes I choose) I borrow the books from the library and we read a few sections/chapters. DD answers the questions and ds dictates to me.

• redhead-bedhead
    March 21 at 10:05 AM
    For History and Science it was/is very important to me that our materials are secular.
    We chose Pandia Press's R.E.A.L Science Odyssey and Ancients.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts