Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
Homeschool conventions- Would you? Have you? Yay or nay?
by mem82
March 20 at 3:17 PM

tell me your thoughts

Replies

• Silverkitty
    March 20 at 3:21 PM

I've never been to one.  I've thought about it many times, but they are usually to far and cost to much.

• AutymsMommy
    March 20 at 3:34 PM

We have a big one here (Great Homeschool Conventions) - this weekend actually. I want to see Dr. Carson, but I'm not paying $45 when there isn't a single other speaker I care to see, and the vending hall has almost nothing for me (it's almost entirely protestant, with a few secular options running around - but nothing Catholic and not many secular options). ALL of the science options in the vending hall are young earth. Most of the speakers seem to be parenting, worldview, etc, with less focus on academics.

There is a Catholic homeschool convention a couple hours away, but it's dominated by one Catholic homeschool academy (Seton), and I'd really like to see all of the Catholic vendors represented a bit more.

I base my decisions largely on the vending hall - if I don't like what I see on that list, it isn't worth my time. I have no desire to sit through most of the speakers. My parish priest is, however, speaking at the local Catholic one in May, so maybe... lol.

• Bethbeth
    March 20 at 3:37 PM

I am hoping to go to one in April. It is free for me to go since my kids are all younger than school age.

• KickButtMama
    March 20 at 4:08 PM

If I knew it would be secular I'd go. But the ones I've seen were primarily religious.

• ablackdolphin
    March 20 at 6:42 PM
    Love them!!! have gone three times and will go again live getting ideas and flipping thru books!!
  • TidewaterClan
    March 20 at 8:00 PM
    I went to the greater hs convention in cincy last year. It's $10 for the vending hall only this year.

There are a lot of religious sellers like Sonlight & Abeka, but I go for secular ones like harcourt-houghton mifflin, rainbow resources, lots of smaller bookstores, a science seller, etc.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    March 20 at 8:02 PM
    Is it only ten dollars?

Quoting TidewaterClan: I went to the greater hs convention in cincy last year. It's $10 for the vending hall only this year.

There are a lot of religious sellers like Sonlight & Abeka, but I go for secular ones like harcourt-houghton mifflin, rainbow resources, lots of smaller bookstores, a science seller, etc.
  • TidewaterClan
    March 20 at 8:36 PM
    I looked at the details. It's $10/person or $20/family. I bought the family pass last year so I could show dh we weren't the only people who would be homeschooling.

Quoting mem82: Is it only ten dollars?

Quoting TidewaterClan: I went to the greater hs convention in cincy last year. It's $10 for the vending hall only this year.

• No_Difference
    March 20 at 8:50 PM

I would love to go to one, but there has always been a scheduling conflict :/ Also, the majority are very religious around by me. If there aren't a variety of vendors, I most likely won't go unless there are a few topics from the speakers that I want to hear about. The one that's at the end of the month by me for instance, there isn't a single vendor I am interested in, but there were a few speaking events I wanted to go to (I just wish that they all weren't religious based...I was going to put my partial earmuffs on). Turns out I've got a 5K that day at the same time, so o well... 

• Bleacheddecay
    March 20 at 9:06 PM

Generally I hate listening to most speakers. I'm not religious and most homeschoolers and homeschooling speakers are. I hate being lectures or preached at. But I have been to one. I paid just to go through the curriculum hall. I didn't not sit through any speeches or lectures. I did find some really good materials I was happy to see, touch and later, buy.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts