Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
chotovec82
Math U See question
March 17 at 12:00 PM
We are using Math U See for our boys. They are doing wonderful and love it so far. However another mama told us that once our children get to fractions; we'd have issues with the program because Mr. Demme teaches it in a manner that we won't understand. I guess we learned fractions a different way. Also she said that the program would make it hard for her to understand math concepts done in a different manner.

Now my 2 cents is that I plan on homeschooling them throughout high school anyhow so them having to adapt to the public school method of doing math problems doesn't worry me in the slightest. Also it would seem to me that if your child has a clear understanding of how to do math than they should catch on to a different method fairly easily.

Those of you who used this program past 4th grade; I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks :)

Replies

• KrissyKC
    March 17 at 3:38 PM
    Some of the more experienced mom I know tht have used mus switch to teaching textbooks in upper grades because tt actually is supposed to show you how to work every problem.

I only started mus this year. My daughter (12) is just about done with zeta. She only has the final to take. She understood it well. She is mathmatically bright, but is careless and makes easy mistakes.

My other kids are younger so not much help there with personal experience.

It doesn't operate the same as the public school though, and it makes sense you would take that into consideration if you may be switching down the road.

Although... keep in mind its not slower than the ps. Afterall, if you start primer in kg, do one each year, you end up in algebra 1 by 8th grade. This is a grade ahead of ps.
  • bluerooffarm
    March 17 at 4:12 PM

Here's the deal with MUS.  It is extremely visual in the beginning of each and every new type of problems.  Then it moves on until the student knows how the problem works (nearly exhaustively from every angle) and finally the student can do the problem mentally.  My sons have not gone past 4th grade yet, but we have played games that had them use completely different methods to solve addition, subtraction, and multiplication problems and they had no problems picking up the new methods.  

IMO if you are not putting the child back into PS until high school, they will have such a strong background in fractions and decimals that it will help them in algebra in the public school setting.  That was actually the greatest weakness in most public school algebra students...not being able to visualize the fractions and not knowing how to set up decimal problems.

• chotovec82
    March 17 at 4:18 PM
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

Here's the deal with MUS.  It is extremely visual in the beginning of each and every new type of problems.  Then it moves on until the student knows how the problem works (nearly exhaustively from every angle) and finally the student can do the problem mentally.  My sons have not gone past 4th grade yet, but we have played games that had them use completely different methods to solve addition, subtraction, and multiplication problems and they had no problems picking up the new methods.  

IMO if you are not putting the child back into PS until high school, they will have such a strong background in fractions and decimals that it will help them in algebra in the public school setting.  That was actually the greatest weakness in most public school algebra students...not being able to visualize the fractions and not knowing how to set up decimal problems.

I like the program and so does my husband who is an engineer. I'm not putting them in school ever- hopefully. However, I'm worried about not being able to teach it because I didn't learn it the way he's showing the boys. I'd have that problem with public school as well tho so I guess it shouldn't really matter any.

Thanks for your advice :)
  • TJandKarasMom
    March 17 at 7:50 PM
    We just started MUS with my 10 year old DD (5th grade). She is doing the division one (delta I believe). It is explained in such a great way for her, it is really starting to click. We just started hsing this year, I wish we started earlier and started MUS earlier as well.

From what I hear, it is actually kind of low once they get to the upper grades. But I've also heard it can be a really solid foundation. I think we will stick with it for now and maybe in 8th or 9th grade switch to something a little more rigorous. But she is not a kid that's going to be a math person ever, so I figure if she can solve basic every day life problems, then we will have succeeded. My DS on the other hand (11, 6th grade) will not use MUS because he is a math minded kid, so he needs something more rigorous now. He is doing BJU Prealgebra.

• bluerooffarm
    March 18 at 7:39 AM

Quoting chotovec82:
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

I like the program and so does my husband who is an engineer. I'm not putting them in school ever- hopefully. However, I'm worried about not being able to teach it because I didn't learn it the way he's showing the boys. I'd have that problem with public school as well tho so I guess it shouldn't really matter any. Thanks for your advice :)

Oops.  Somehow I misread and thought you were homeschooling until high school instead of through high school.  Sorry.

The PS way of teaching fractions is nearly maddening at times. Many parents complain about that method, so I would say MUS is better.  :-)

• Chasing3
    March 18 at 9:55 AM

Can someone tell me what exactly is "maddening" about how he teaches fractions before I buy it? I was about to buy Delta any day now and probably get Epislon and Zeta at the same time to only pay for shipping once.

I'mi working with a struggling math student! But we also have a bunch of other fraction manipulatives and I feel pretty comfortable with explaining in other ways...

also, I was considering buying even further ahead to pre-algerbra for my older son who is a lot more math-minded, but goes to public school and I think he's not getting great instruction and I was thinking for the price of the books and dvd, that's like 2 hours of a tutor's time, and it's simple enough for him to do a page nightly for supplementation of the basics. I had been thinking of TT for this supplementation too.

thanks!! 

• chotovec82
    March 18 at 12:12 PM
    Quoting Chasing3:

Can someone tell me what exactly is "maddening" about how he teaches fractions before I buy it? I was about to buy Delta any day now and probably get Epislon and Zeta at the same time to only pay for shipping once.I'mi working with a struggling math student! But we also have a bunch of other fraction manipulatives and I feel pretty comfortable with explaining in other ways...

also, I was considering buying even further ahead to pre-algerbra for my older son who is a lot more math-minded, but goes to public school and I think he's not getting great instruction and I was thinking for the price of the books and dvd, that's like 2 hours of a tutor's time, and it's simple enough for him to do a page nightly for supplementation of the basics. I had been thinking of TT for this supplementation too.

thanks!! 

No one has said that it's maddening to teach it with MUS. She was talking about the public school. I had a friend say she didn't understand how Demme teaches it. However, everyone else is saying that it's not bad and pretty easy. I'm still going to use MUS for the higher grades.
  • Chasing3
    March 18 at 2:40 PM

thanks  - I'm going to stick with it since it works so well for us.

Quoting chotovec82:
    Quoting Chasing3:

Can someone tell me what exactly is "maddening" about how he teaches fractions before I buy it? I was about to buy Delta any day now and probably get Epislon and Zeta at the same time to only pay for shipping once.I'mi working with a struggling math student! But we also have a bunch of other fraction manipulatives and I feel pretty comfortable with explaining in other ways...

thanks!! 

No one has said that it's maddening to teach it with MUS. She was talking about the public school. I had a friend say she didn't understand how Demme teaches it. However, everyone else is saying that it's not bad and pretty easy. I'm still going to use MUS for the higher grades.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN