Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
somuchlove4U
If something were to happen to you do you have a back up plan?
March 16 at 12:35 PM

If you died do you and your spouse have a plan of action when it comes to the kids and schooling and such? My husband and I were talking about if something were to happen to me what would he do. To my surprise he said he would keep homeschooling the kids. He wants me to get things all in order in a place so he knows what to do and how to go about doing it. We are also looking into life insurance for me as I don't have any. 

Is this something that has been discussed in your family?  

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    March 16 at 1:10 PM

If I died, my ex would put DS into private school or a charter school.  The county he lives in has shitty schools and he knows not to send DS there.  He isn't up to homeschooling him though.  Now if we both died, he would go to my sister.  I haven't really talked to her about what she would do, but I will.  Knowing her she would find the best private school she could and put him in that.

• TJandKarasMom
    March 16 at 2:25 PM
    I think DS would go live with his father, he and his wife HS their young children, so I am sure he would HS DS. DD would stay with DH (since she is his and not mine, lol)...I don't think he could HS so I'm not sure what he would do. I suspect he would put her back in ps unless she really couldn't handle it, then he would try for a private school. Maybe we should discuss that some of my life insurance should pay for a private school or a tutor/nanny for her.

I don't know what would happen if something happened to DH. I would probably enlist my exs help in schooling and caring for DS so I could work ft, but DD - I would have to fight her biomom for custody...which is what DHs life insurance is meant for, a decent lawyer. Then I may try to enlist another HS mom in helping me out with both kids...worst comes to worst, I could ask my exs wife to help with both of my kids and I could pay them or try to return the favor in tutoring their kids or something.

Lets just hope the worst doesn't happen.
  • Bleacheddecay
    March 16 at 3:25 PM

We did discuss it. My husband who was terrified on a primal level of homeschooling also said he would continue. I don't see how he could do it really.

I figured my oldest could help out and by that time they were both old enough to do for themselves much of the time.

But they sure wouldn't have gotten to do as many things or go as many places.

• KickButtMama
    March 16 at 3:31 PM

I have life insurance that is supposed to go to the kids going to a small private school in the event something happening to me. My DH fully admits he'd fail miserably trying to teach all that I do..lol...we all have our strengths!

• AutymsMommy
    March 16 at 3:50 PM

The children would attend Catholic school.

• Silverkitty
    March 16 at 7:52 PM

With my husbands job, the children would probably end up in school.  The type of school depends where they would end up living.

• MudRunninMama
    March 16 at 8:19 PM

My kids would go to a private school if something were to happen to me. DH doesn't want to homeschool. I'm sure my mom would also step in and help out with things, but not enough for him to continue homeschooling. It was sad to think about, but I'm ok with his decision. 

• Leissaintexas
    March 17 at 11:48 AM
    We actually have discussed this, and dh would continue to homeschool. I used to worry about this when they were little, and I always made it a point to let dh know all my bookmarked sites and resources were,so he could figure out my system. The kids are older now, and I include them in most decision making about curriculum,and they could probably school themselves, if the need should arise.
  • kirbymom
    March 17 at 6:06 PM
    Yes. We have discussed this together. Nothing would change.
  • mom2gdj
    by mom2gdj
    March 17 at 6:53 PM

Yes we have life insurance. I have a child who will be graduating this year and if something happened to me she would take over the schooling for her brother and sister with help from dad.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts