Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Silverkitty
Science Fusion
March 12 at 1:36 PM

I know one person here does Science Fusion.  I am curious how you schedule it?  I got 2 modules, one for now and one for the beginning of next year and I'm trying to get an Idea on scheduling it.

Replies

• kirbymom
    March 15 at 9:43 AM
    Unm..forgive ny ignorance but, what is it? A curriculum?
  • KickButtMama
    March 15 at 11:00 AM

LOL, I thought the same. I think it's a curriculum.

Quoting kirbymom: Unm..forgive ny ignorance but, what is it? A curriculum?

• kirbymom
    March 15 at 11:09 AM
    Ahh...okay. Thanks. :)
  • Silverkitty
    March 15 at 11:56 AM

Yes it's a science curriculum from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.  Online and in a write in text.

• kirbymom
    March 15 at 12:08 PM
    Thank you. :)

Have you used it long?

Quoting Silverkitty:

Yes it's a science curriculum from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.  Online and in a write in text.

• Silverkitty
    March 15 at 1:11 PM

It's been two weeks since we started.  My daughter enjoys the online part more than the book work, but if she didn't do the book work she wouldn't remember half of it.

It does have a learning curve on trying to find and figure out how to do everything, but other than that I think it will be wonderful transition for high school work in a year or two.

Quoting kirbymom: Thank you. :) Have you used it long?
    Quoting Silverkitty:

• kirbymom
    March 15 at 1:16 PM
    Sounds like the written work is a reinforcement of the online work.
    How heavy is the curriculum?

Quoting Silverkitty:

It's been two weeks since we started.  My daughter enjoys the online part more than the book work, but if she didn't do the book work she wouldn't remember half of it.

It does have a learning curve on trying to find and figure out how to do everything, but other than that I think it will be wonderful transition for high school work in a year or two.

Quoting kirbymom: Thank you. :)

Have you used it long?

Quoting Silverkitty:

• Silverkitty
    March 15 at 1:39 PM

I'm not sure how to judge how heavy the curriculum is.  We were using a very light curriculum before and this adds more reading and vocabulary that my daughter didn't have before.  It has virutal labs which I find eaiser than trying to find everything for labs we never did.

We use it the other way around, I have her do the wirten work before the online work.  They cover the same thing just a little differently, though they do have an online student edition.

Middle school has Modules A through K and you have a year to work through each module.  The pacing says to use 3 to 4 modules a year.  I'm thinking 3 with various time working through them depending on my daughter's interests.  She doesn't really like science, but she is enjoying this.

Quoting kirbymom: Sounds like the written work is a reinforcement of the online work. How heavy is the curriculum?

• TidewaterClan
    March 15 at 1:53 PM
    Hey Silver!

Did you guys start with Cells & Heredity?

The way I schedule it is starting with the online lesson for the first day. That usually takes us an hour. We usually do 4 workbook pages each of the following days. We do the lesson review but not the quizzes.

I did print a quiz out once it's pretty slick - you choose what types of questions and the level of difficulty.

The online lessons are super, but the workbook really does reinforce it greatly. I also have dd draw pictures too. We have a prokaryote, eukaryote, cell life cycle, etc., on our wall downstairs.

Does that help at all? I did find some kind of scheduling thing once, but the 4 pages seems good and not too much at once for dd.
  • kirbymom
    March 15 at 1:54 PM
    Oh, wow. That must be a tad frustrating trying to determine how many to do then and it sounds like you are doing a great job figuring out what really is needed and what to do.
    Thus the question from the start! (Duh)

Quoting Silverkitty:

I'm not sure how to judge how heavy the curriculum is.  We were using a very light curriculum before and this adds more reading and vocabulary that my daughter didn't have before.  It has virutal labs which I find eaiser than trying to find everything for labs we never did.

We use it the other way around, I have her do the wirten work before the online work.  They cover the same thing just a little differently, though they do have an online student edition.

Middle school has Modules A through K and you have a year to work through each module.  The pacing says to use 3 to 4 modules a year.  I'm thinking 3 with various time working through them depending on my daughter's interests.  She doesn't really like science, but she is enjoying this.

Quoting kirbymom: Sounds like the written work is a reinforcement of the online work.
    How heavy is the curriculum?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN