Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
supermonstermom
Math U See..
March 10 at 8:58 PM

My son is a K12 first grader.  We are hating K12, so next year I am going for it, and going the traditional route. 

I am shopping around for math curriculums.  I am looking for a curriculum that encourges number sense  along with skills.

Has anyone used Math U See or Singapore Math.

Thanks.

Replies

• Bleacheddecay
    March 10 at 9:13 PM

I used Math U See for my kids from grades 6 and up. I wasn't pleased with the results but I have one child with a learning issue with numbers writing. I think it's best used for an early math student like you have.

I was interested in Singapore, Teaching Textbooks and Life of Fred but the kids refused to consider anything else but Math U See once they found and liked it.

• supermonstermom
    March 10 at 9:16 PM

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I used Math U See for my kids from grades 6 and up. I wasn't pleased with the results but I have one child with a learning issue with numbers writing. I think it's best used for an early math student like you have.

I was interested in Singapore, Teaching Textbooks and Life of Fred but the kids refused to consider anything else but Math U See once they found and liked it.

Oh thank you.

I like the approach with Math U See.

I have a five year old who will be in Kindergarten, so I may use it for her too.

I love it teachs number sense along with the concept.

• chotovec82
    March 10 at 9:22 PM
    We are using Math U See. I LOVE it!!! I have a kindergartener and 2nd grader. I just started using the program with them. My kindergartener has learned so much from it and so has my 2nd grader. I love the manipulatives. They totally get it once they use it. I strongly recommend this curriculum. You can go to their site and get assesment tests to download so you know which book to start your kid out in. My kids enjoy math and think it's fun now. They don't want to go to any other curriculum. We also supplement with Life Of Fred just to give them a difference in how things can be solved. They love it as well. I don't think Life of Fred would be a good stand alone curriculum tho. Hope this helps :)
  • supermonstermom
    March 10 at 9:36 PM

Gotta look at this Life of Fred. :)

Quoting chotovec82: We are using Math U See. I LOVE it!!! I have a kindergartener and 2nd grader. I just started using the program with them. My kindergartener has learned so much from it and so has my 2nd grader. I love the manipulatives. They totally get it once they use it. I strongly recommend this curriculum. You can go to their site and get assesment tests to download so you know which book to start your kid out in. My kids enjoy math and think it's fun now. They don't want to go to any other curriculum. We also supplement with Life Of Fred just to give them a difference in how things can be solved. They love it as well. I don't think Life of Fred would be a good stand alone curriculum tho. Hope this helps :)

• chotovec82
    March 10 at 9:52 PM
    Quoting supermonstermom:

Gotta look at this Life of Fred. :)

Quoting chotovec82: We are using Math U See. I LOVE it!!! I have a kindergartener and 2nd grader. I just started using the program with them. My kindergartener has learned so much from it and so has my 2nd grader. I love the manipulatives. They totally get it once they use it. I strongly recommend this curriculum. You can go to their site and get assesment tests to download so you know which book to start your kid out in. My kids enjoy math and think it's fun now. They don't want to go to any other curriculum. We also supplement with Life Of Fred just to give them a difference in how things can be solved. They love it as well. I don't think Life of Fred would be a good stand alone curriculum tho. Hope this helps :)

Life of Fred is fun for them and they like it. However, I don't think it's enough for a stand alone curriculum.
  • GodsAmiga
    March 10 at 9:54 PM

I used the Math-U-See primer for my daughter this year for kindergarten and I loved it. But when I got the next book and we started using it I realized I needed to switch. It's very black and white and dry for my dd. She likes the blocks which makes it more hands-on but she was getting bored with it which made her frustrated. I definitely recommend the primer though! It's a great intro to math concepts for kindergarten. And math-u-see could be really good for beyond kindergarten as well. It just wasn't a good fit for us. I'm going to be trying out the 1st grade Bob Jones math curriculum once it arrives. :-)

• ablackdolphin
    March 10 at 9:55 PM
    I really like RightStart Math
  • bluerooffarm
    March 11 at 7:28 AM

We like Math U See and we also use Life of Fred as a fun supplement.  

• No_Difference
    March 11 at 10:43 AM

My kids use Math U See. My daughter has been using it for 2 years now (3rd and 4th grade) and we'll use it next year with the fractions book. My little guy is using it for his first year...well technically he used it after Christmas last year too... He flew through the Primer, and are almost halfway through the Alpha book. Both love it.
    Here's the thing I noticed though with my little guy. If your Kinder already has a pretty strong grasp on counting and shapes, the primer might not be wroth it. The Alpha book is a faster paced version of the Primer. My little guy flew through the Primer becuase it was actually too easy for him, even when we had gotten to the adding and subtracting concepts. We are making our way much more slowly in the Alpha book, but he is actually getting a slight challenge from it. 
    With him, after we got so far into the book, I cut back how often we did worksheets. Our week with him looks like this:
    Monday: Flash cards or a math game that will reinforce the addition problems he is supposed to have "mastered". (I will admit, I don't make him spit these numbers out in seconds. As long as he knows how to get to the answer, I'm satisfied. With continual practice over the next few years, he'll get it...he's 4...)
    Tuesday-Thursday: Worksheet A - C (maybe even skipping straight to some of the review pages if the lesson is an easier one)
    Friday: Flashcards or a math game. 
    I typically try to have the Monday and Friday days trade what we've done so if we did a game on Monday, we'll do flash cards on Friday. Flash card days are our "speed" days. He tries to go through them as quickly as possibly, but like I mentioned before, I'm satisified as long as he knows how to get to the answer....

With my daughter, we do flash cards for a few minutes before each lesson to work on speed. Right now she's doing multi digit numbers divide by multi digit numbers, but we still drill the basics of multiplication 0-12 and division.  We put the flash cards she gets super fast into a stack, and work on the ones she can't get quickly. After they all get into the "mastered stack" we take a week off, and then review the whole stack again.

Oddly enough, the kids rarely use the blocks though. I know from watching them now that they both learn better through mastery based vs spiral based curriculums, so the majority of the curriculum we have is mastery based.

• supermonstermom
    March 11 at 10:51 AM

Thank you!!

Quoting No_Difference:

My kids use Math U See. My daughter has been using it for 2 years now (3rd and 4th grade) and we'll use it next year with the fractions book. My little guy is using it for his first year...well technically he used it after Christmas last year too... He flew through the Primer, and are almost halfway through the Alpha book. Both love it.Here's the thing I noticed though with my little guy. If your Kinder already has a pretty strong grasp on counting and shapes, the primer might not be wroth it. The Alpha book is a faster paced version of the Primer. My little guy flew through the Primer becuase it was actually too easy for him, even when we had gotten to the adding and subtracting concepts. We are making our way much more slowly in the Alpha book, but he is actually getting a slight challenge from it. With him, after we got so far into the book, I cut back how often we did worksheets. Our week with him looks like this:Monday: Flash cards or a math game that will reinforce the addition problems he is supposed to have "mastered". (I will admit, I don't make him spit these numbers out in seconds. As long as he knows how to get to the answer, I'm satisfied. With continual practice over the next few years, he'll get it...he's 4...) Tuesday-Thursday: Worksheet A - C (maybe even skipping straight to some of the review pages if the lesson is an easier one)Friday: Flashcards or a math game.  I typically try to have the Monday and Friday days trade what we've done so if we did a game on Monday, we'll do flash cards on Friday. Flash card days are our "speed" days. He tries to go through them as quickly as possibly, but like I mentioned before, I'm satisified as long as he knows how to get to the answer.... With my daughter, we do flash cards for a few minutes before each lesson to work on speed. Right now she's doing multi digit numbers divide by multi digit numbers, but we still drill the basics of multiplication 0-12 and division.  We put the flash cards she gets super fast into a stack, and work on the ones she can't get quickly. After they all get into the "mastered stack" we take a week off, and then review the whole stack again. Oddly enough, the kids rarely use the blocks though. I know from watching them now that they both learn better through mastery based vs spiral based curriculums, so the majority of the curriculum we have is mastery based.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN