Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
KrissyKC
your opinion: roots
March 7 at 2:05 PM
Do you remember watching Roots or have you used it in your homeschooling experience? I forget how "adult" it is.

My 12 and 9 yr old just read an essay by the original author (decended from the Kinte's) and they are asking to watch it.

We aren't strictly conservative, but are somewhat.

If you remember it or have used it what ages would you watch it with???

Replies

• KrissyKC
    March 7 at 2:10 PM
    Oh and it would be hard to not have the 6 and 1 yr old around in and out when its on.
  • Molimomma
    March 7 at 2:27 PM

I remember watching it in...middle school maybe? It's pretty graphic in some spots, I probably wouldn't watch it with little ones around. I seem to remember a pretty bad whipping scene at one point. I think we watched it as part of black history month one year and it was probably 7th or 8th grade, maybe even high school.  

• KrissyKC
    March 7 at 2:39 PM
    Yeah, I was trying to remember when we watched it too. Thanks! I know they chopped his foot off at one point, but I was trying to remember if it addressed rape and other topics very much. I know that rape and slavery sometimes (sadly) blended.

Quoting Molimomma:

I remember watching it in...middle school maybe? It's pretty graphic in some spots, I probably wouldn't watch it with little ones around. I seem to remember a pretty bad whipping scene at one point. I think we watched it as part of black history month one year and it was probably 7th or 8th grade, maybe even high school.  

• kirbymom
    March 7 at 5:35 PM
    I remember watching it when I was around 7. I thought then that it was a phenominal movie and I still feel that it is a phenominal movie. It left quite an impression on me even to this day.

If LO's are around, just hold their attention when something questionable comes across the screen. That is what my mom did and I do it as well as send/go with them to another room for the few moments it takes for the questionable scene to play out.
  • KrissyKC
    March 7 at 6:08 PM
    I agree it is. We just started a unit on the southern colonies including the topic of slavery. Then, our literature unit had the personal essay by the roots author. So it is opening this window of curiosity in two subjects.

I know there are scenes at the beginning that show topless native women and there is at least one scene that addresses rape. I'm not as concerned about the toplessness, but the rape scene has me hesitant with the 9 yr old.

Quoting kirbymom: I remember watching it when I was around 7. I thought then that it was a phenominal movie and I still feel that it is a phenominal movie. It left quite an impression on me even to this day.

If LO's are around, just hold their attention when something questionable comes across the screen. That is what my mom did and I do it as well as send/go with them to another room for the few moments it takes for the questionable scene to play out.
  • kirbymom
    March 7 at 6:28 PM
    I would send her out of the room but address why you are sending them out of the room. You know, something like it just isn't appropriate for their age or their maturity. This way their minds aren't left to wonder why they were sent out and cone up with ideas of their own that arr way off base.

I think this is a good lesson plan, btw.

Quoting KrissyKC: I agree it is. We just started a unit on the southern colonies including the topic of slavery. Then, our literature unit had the personal essay by the roots author. So it is opening this window of curiosity in two subjects.

I know there are scenes at the beginning that show topless native women and there is at least one scene that addresses rape. I'm not as concerned about the toplessness, but the rape scene has me hesitant with the 9 yr old.

Quoting kirbymom: I remember watching it when I was around 7. I thought then that it was a phenominal movie and I still feel that it is a phenominal movie. It left quite an impression on me even to this day.

• TAG9lbs
    by TAG9lbs
    March 8 at 12:29 AM
    I watched it around 8. The most memorable scene to me at the beginning when a topless woman was sitting on the side of the boat holding a baby and then she was gone. My mom had to sit down and explain the concept of pass in over. I think it is a great movie and at some point every kid should watch it.
  • KickButtMama
    March 8 at 9:11 AM

I've used it recently w/ my 12 y/o, as well as Amistad, 12 Years a slave, etc. But it is graphic.

• mrs.hartman12
    March 8 at 9:22 AM
    I would have to rewatch it cause I dont remember.
  • paganbaby
    March 8 at 5:22 PM

I read the book years ago but I never saw the film.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN