Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
paganbaby
Garfield is missing! Update: I found him!!
March 7 at 12:44 PM

He was hiding under the couch! Go figure. But as I already went out and bought another, now we have two. It's all good. Ds is thrilled to have two books and I'm thrilled that ds is thrilled about a book at all,lol.

As many of you know, getting my 9yo ds to read books is like pulling teeth. He loves science but interesting science books are far above his reading level, comics are nice, but have too many words and pictures crammed together, books in general are just not his thing.

So someone (totally brain fart here) mentioned that their son like garfield. I gave it a shot and bought a book. Perfect! Big pictures, simple stories, not too many words. Ds didn't even look at it. Sigh... I found it on the bathroom floor. Then the day before yesterday, he just picked it up and started reading to me. I was afraid to say anything and break the spell,lol. But later I told him how much fun I had listening to the stories. He said he had fun too. *fist pump!*

Then last night he asked to read to me. Yea!!! But alas, I could not find that damn orange cat >:-( I tore that house apart looking for him. Nothing. So now I'm off to clean this freakin house and hope like hell I find this book,lol. Wish me luck.fingers crossed

Replies

• paganbaby
    March 7 at 12:45 PM

Where are you??
  • hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    March 7 at 12:54 PM

Good luck!  We can go for what feels like FOREVA looking for a book.  Blast it all!!!!!

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    March 7 at 1:04 PM
    Good luck. We love Garfield. The other night we watching the garfield show while eating lasagna
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 7 at 1:32 PM

There is a website where you can read all of the Garfield strips for free! http://garfield.com/

My oldest hated to read when we pulled him from PS at the age of 12 1/2 y/o. I let him read anything he wanted when we first pulled him out to get him to read & he read only Garfield for 6 months! He is now an avid reader!

• KrissyKC
    March 7 at 6:20 PM
    My kid loves star wars and legos. We picked up a lot of books in his areas of interest back when he was first learning.

More recently, we discovered they even make a lego version of the new testament (bible). He borrowed it from some one and read the whole thing in two days.

I think they saw a passage about circumcision and it used a little round green lego. My 11 yr old daughter asked me why they used green because that wasn't very realistic... lol! Seriously kids...
  • hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    March 7 at 8:26 PM

We have the complete Lego Bibl and the Lego Shakespeare:  The Tragedies.  I just saw the other day that they have the Comedies as well.  Guess what's going on my wish list?  :)

Quoting KrissyKC: My kid loves star wars and legos. We picked up a lot of books in his areas of interest back when he was first learning. More recently, we discovered they even make a lego version of the new testament (bible). He borrowed it from some one and read the whole thing in two days. I think they saw a passage about circumcision and it used a little round green lego. My 11 yr old daughter asked me why they used green because that wasn't very realistic... lol! Seriously kids...

• kirbymom
    March 7 at 11:08 PM
    Good luck finding Garfield!
    He shouldn't be too hard to find, the lazy little bugger. lol
  • KickButtMama
    March 7 at 11:24 PM

I hate when that happens! The one thing you need is the only thing impossible to find! Good luck!

• KickButtMama
    March 7 at 11:25 PM

I suggest making lasagna, that might draw him out of hiding!

• paganbaby
    March 8 at 5:04 PM

I know! I looked all day and I still can';t find it :-(

Quoting hwblyf:

Good luck!  We can go for what feels like FOREVA looking for a book.  Blast it all!!!!!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN