Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
crystalplus1
Almost 3?
March 6 at 10:27 PM

Ds will be 3 in may, what if any, schooling can we do? Mostly right now its crafts. Next week i plan on making a bird feeder out of a pine cone and making things with noodle beads. He can count to 23, knows his ABCs. a few letter sounds. shapes, most colors.

And how do you socialize? My MIL wants me to put him in pre-k, just because we are not a social family, And no one is really aware i plane on home schooling or having him do online classes. I have a sibling still in school, and from what i hear from him and my mom, its nothing like it used to be.

Replies

• Precious333
    March 6 at 10:41 PM
    First off, best way to teach young children is through play (imo). Second, school is the worse place to teach children social skills.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 6 at 10:47 PM

I agree with both! It sounds like you have a very bright little guy on your hands, just keep doing what you are doing. As far as socializing find some preschool activity's like at the library or a group that meets at the park once or twice a week. At that age they really don't need much more then that in the way of interaction with other children!

Quoting Precious333: First off, best way to teach young children is through play (imo). Second, school is the worse place to teach children social skills.

• ablackdolphin
    March 6 at 10:53 PM
    Lots of reading, songs, coloring with small pieces of crayon will help with grip, visit zoos and museums etc books on anatomy or space, science experiments etc
  • crystalplus1
    March 6 at 11:03 PM

The zoo is on the too-do list, its a pretty long drive from here. He loves books, If he had his way i would be reading to him all day. We spend about an hour reading throughout the day, he has a few songs he likes to sing, I will have to find some more books. His birthday is coming up and ive put in requests for arts and crafts suplies and i seen a really neat wipe clean book for practicing letters.

Quoting ablackdolphin: Lots of reading, songs, coloring with small pieces of crayon will help with grip, visit zoos and museums etc books on anatomy or space, science experiments etc

• PinkButterfly66
    March 6 at 11:10 PM

I'd join a play group instead.  

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    March 6 at 11:11 PM
    Everyone has great suggestions. I would also look for local homeschooling groups. You can check yahoo for local groups for your area. I started joining groups when my kids were that age. We would meet at parks to get together. You can also start classes locally when you son gets a little older. I would also use your local library. Many libraries have programs for young children. You can also look for homeschooling ads at the library or make your own. Good luck.
  • oahoah
    by oahoah
    March 7 at 12:26 AM

Don't cave to the pressure of preschool! Enjoy your time with your son and have fun together, get out & enjoy nature, read books, play together.  When my oldest was little we would go to the library pretty regularly and then I heard about MOPS, which was fun for a while. We were pretty lax at that age but if I had Pinterest then I would have done more with him! We played a lot together and then when he was in preschool/pre-k, I got a lot of ideas from his teachers for stuff to do with his little brothers. 

I second the idea of looking for a local homeschool group since that is what you have planned, it can be great to have that community to rely on, I found some great mentor moms who were always eager and helpful to answer newbie questions (found mine through yahoo groups).

Also, one thing I overlooked when worried about socialization for my oldest was the impact that other kids with bad habits & behavior would have on him. 

• Karmea
    by Karmea
    March 7 at 3:21 AM

I second the comment on socializing leading to bad habits at this age. One weekend with other kids and we're working on manners for weeks. Why would we expect kids to learn social skills from other kids who are learning social skills?

For educational activities, anything that feels like a game and is easily handled independently works great for my  3yo. We made a movable alphabet to hang on a peg board for phonics practice and my daughter happily makes up her own words to figure out how to pronounce them. It's play that has really helped with letter sounds. A 100 board made of old Scrabble tiles that she can push around to figure out number order has been really useful for counting.

Have you asked your son if there's anythng he would like to learn? My daughter will come and tell me she wants to learn sign language or sewing, or how to make waffles or whatever, and we've started a big list on a white board. She is so proud of that list, and it keeps her thinking about new things to learn. And ever since we showed her that what she wants to learn matters to us, she seems a lot more willing to focus on anything we're trying to teach her.

• Molimomma
    March 7 at 8:14 AM

Our local zoo has parent/child classes we sign up for. They are only an hour long with a story, craft or activity of some sort, an up close animal interaction and then we go see some of the zoo animals that go with whatever the lesson was about(last time it was tigers). We go to the local Barnes & Nobel for story time periodically too. If there are any museums nearby they often have meet-up type programs too. I know our art museum and the children's museum both have weekly or monthly activities for 2-4 year olds. You have to search out your community for what might be available for kids that age, sometimes it's not well advertised but if you look you can find all sorts of neat stuff to do. As for school I tried to blend in some learning centers/activities with sensory bins and fine motor skill development. Puzzles, lots books and reading, painting, play dough, blocks(we have 4 different kinds!), cooking, etc. I teach my son thematically(apples, Autumn, pumpkins, Thanksgiving, Christmas, winter, dinosaurs, Valentine's day, spring, bugs, ocean, etc) then everything from books to puzzles to crafts or art revolves around that theme. We didn't do any worksheets or paperwork until he turned 3.5 and even then we only do 2 or 3 a day total. I try and do as much active hands on stuff as possible. For example, we are doing a St. Patricks Day theme right now, I wrote the number 1-20 on big shamrocks and we scatter them all over the first floor of our house then my son has to run around and find the numbers 1 by 1 to hang up on a ribbon in order(kind of like a clothes line). Why he's running around he's learning number recognition, number words(written on the shamrocks), number order, counting to see what number comes next plus fine motor skills using the clothes pins to pin them up and gross motor skills to run and get them!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN