Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bluecalm
My dh wants LO to go to PS
March 5 at 10:54 AM

Dh is fine with me hsing my 6 year old because he has SNs and would never be doing this well academically. He recently told me our 3.5 year old needs to go to ps starting in K because he's very bright and he would like me to put him in PreK in the fall. It's not just LO picking up academics early, it's his thought processes and actions. Personally I don't see how ps is supposed to advance him more than I can. We're active in several hs groups and go places all the time. He makes friends easily and plays with whoever is at the playground so socialization is covered. All I can figure is when dh was bragging about him at work someone told him a smart kid needs to be in ps.

Arguments for hsing bright children vs putting them in ps please. Ultimately he won't stop me from doing it, but I want him to feel good about the decision too.

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 5 at 11:00 AM

I would look up what kinders are supposed to know in your state. If your child knows a lot of the stuff already, highlight how bored LO will be.

• bluerooffarm
    March 5 at 11:16 AM

A smart kid can really get squashed in PS.  My extremely bright oldest son went to PS  for Kinder and 1st.  He was bored which led him to get "chatty, bouncy, and disruptive." according to his 1st grade teacher.  His kinder teacher was wonderful, she gave him extra advanced work, allowed him to "help" others, and encouraged him to ask questions that were deeper than she really had wanted to go.  Then in 1st grade, his questions became annoying, his "helping" others made him disruptive, and advanced work would "make the others jealous."  So it really depends on the teacher what kind of experience your child will have.  Do you want to risk having a poor teacher who will actually put your child down for their natural curiosity?  It took a lot to get us back on track. 

• Bluecalm
    March 5 at 11:22 AM

Quoting mem82:

I would look up what kinders are supposed to know in your state. If your child knows a lot of the stuff already, highlight how bored LO will be.

Good idea. He knows what beginning K should know, but I haven't looked at the grade level expectations to see how far along he is.

• Bluecalm
    March 5 at 11:30 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

A smart kid can really get squashed in PS.  My extremely bright oldest son went to PS  for Kinder and 1st.  He was bored which led him to get "chatty, bouncy, and disruptive." according to his 1st grade teacher.  His kinder teacher was wonderful, she gave him extra advanced work, allowed him to "help" others, and encouraged him to ask questions that were deeper than she really had wanted to go.  Then in 1st grade, his questions became annoying, his "helping" others made him disruptive, and advanced work would "make the others jealous."  So it really depends on the teacher what kind of experience your child will have.  Do you want to risk having a poor teacher who will actually put your child down for their natural curiosity?  It took a lot to get us back on track. 

He's already bouncy and active. I don't think he'd be a welcome member in a K class lol. No, I don't want to risk him being squashed. I taught ps, I know what it can be like for bright kids. Maybe I should tell my dh if he wants him in ps then HE needs to be the one who does HW with him and deals with teacher complaints lol.

• chotovec82
    March 5 at 11:37 AM
    My oldest son is advaNced. He went to pre k and k in a public school. Pre K was ok. He had a great teacher who offered him lots to do. However in K his teacher didn't do anything at all for him. She'd tell me how smart he was and that he thought he was gifted and talented but apparently she didn't give him any time in class. At the end of the school year my child couldn't read simple words, couldn't do much mathematics and didn't really have an understanding of much. He was tested for gifted and talented. He was advanced but not so much to be classifed as gifted and talented. I think the teacher assumed he was really intelligent and deCided that he'd figure it out so she helped kids she preceived as less smart. School could really hinder your son. I'd def. Homeschool.
  • bluerooffarm
    March 5 at 11:37 AM

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

He's already bouncy and active. I don't think he'd be a welcome member in a K class lol. No, I don't want to risk him being squashed. I taught ps, I know what it can be like for bright kids. Maybe I should tell my dh if he wants him in ps then HE needs to be the one who does HW with him and deals with teacher complaints lol.

That sounds like a great idea!  Homework was a nightmare (mostly busy work) and the teacher made me want to pull out my hair!  LOL

• Bluecalm
    March 5 at 12:03 PM

Quoting chotovec82: My oldest son is advaNced. He went to pre k and k in a public school. Pre K was ok. He had a great teacher who offered him lots to do. However in K his teacher didn't do anything at all for him. She'd tell me how smart he was and that he thought he was gifted and talented but apparently she didn't give him any time in class. At the end of the school year my child couldn't read simple words, couldn't do much mathematics and didn't really have an understanding of much. He was tested for gifted and talented. He was advanced but not so much to be classifed as gifted and talented. I think the teacher assumed he was really intelligent and deCided that he'd figure it out so she helped kids she preceived as less smart. School could really hinder your son. I'd def. Homeschool.

This happened to him already. When I was still working he was with a sitter who worked with all the kids. Two of them were getting a lot of K readiness skills, not him because he was 2 years old at the time. She asked him to point to 'yellow" on a chart and he pointed to the word yellow, not the color. He could match the spelling of every color word to the color. HE taught my 5 year old his colors the summer before K. That sitter had to quit for health reasons in the middle of last year and the next sitter did nothing with him and he regressed a lot. Not a big deal at 2, but it would be a big deal at 5 or 6.

• AutymsMommy
    March 5 at 2:00 PM

I have a very bright 4 year old... who would be completely lost in the public school system. As it is, I can move foward at his pace, instead of him being forced to work at the level of the lowest common denominator (which is how most classrooms, by default, HAVE to work - no fault of the teacher).

True story for your husband. We interviewed a lovely young woman for a sitting position. She is currently a grade 2 teacher - only a couple years into her career and she's already burnt out. Budget cuts have dictated that she have more than a few special needs children in her NT classroom; because of the number of SN children in her class, the admin "stacked" the other part of her class with the best and the brightest. She said she's glad the other children are as bright as they are, because they essentially have to teach themselves - she spends all of her time teaching the SN children, all of whom have such vastly different needs that she can't begin to do them all justice.

Does your DH really want his bright child left to fend for himself? This woman's story is NOT abnormal (at least not for our area).

• AutymsMommy
    March 5 at 2:03 PM

This is an excellent idea. When I looked up (for grins and giggles) the class syllabus for our local Kindergarten class/school, they spent the entire first semester on letter sounds with a few sight words in the mix; my son already knows his letter sounds and is beginning to work with CVC words - the only "new" thing would be the few sight words. He wouldn't hit CVC blends until second semester - next year. In maths they were working on patterns and number recognition/counting - my son is learning to add and subtract.

In other words, when I looked at it, my 4 year old son wouldn't hit anything "new" (other than sight words) until after Christmas of next year. That was NOT okay with me.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting mem82:

Good idea. He knows what beginning K should know, but I haven't looked at the grade level expectations to see how far along he is.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 5 at 2:52 PM

I agree with some of the others. show him where your LO will be in the schools setting & where he is at all on his own, then talk about how he will be throttled back to match the other children & board out of his ever loving mind!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN