Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
rmgriffberg
finding a co-op?
February 28 at 4:15 PM

Ok i use to live in Lake co il and there were tons of Homeschooling co-ops. we moved to WV in Nov and i would like to start looking for one here now for next school year. i knew lots of moms that home-schooled in il and that is how i knew of so many co-ops, but i dont know any homeschooling moms here so i was wondering how do i find co-ops in my area?

Replies

• Knightquester
    February 28 at 4:20 PM

Try to put in your location and search for homeschooling on http://www.meetup.com/

• rmgriffberg
    February 28 at 4:32 PM

Thank you!

Quoting Knightquester:

Try to put in your location and search for homeschooling on http://www.meetup.com/

• rmgriffberg
    February 28 at 4:36 PM

There wasnt anything close

Quoting Knightquester:

• Knightquester
    February 28 at 5:07 PM

I have heard that Yahoo has homeschool groups, however I've not used their site to connect with groups.  Another option is to create your own group and then announce as a meet-up for other homeschool families to join you when you go out or do things that you don't mind more people.

Luckily this is a good group to find other moms in your area, given there are so many of us from all over that are a part of this group.  It might be better to create a new post with the title Looking for WV Moms.  I would create it in this group, Homeschooling Moms, and also in the Happy Homeschoolers group, and just mention you're not only looking for other moms in your state/area, but also how to find co-ops.

Good Luck!

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 28 at 10:48 PM
    I would look at yahoo groups and your local library. If there aren't any groups then start one. Chances if you are looking someone else is as well. You may have to travel aways if you are in the country. I would make some business cards and start leaving anywhere you can. good luck in your search.
  • Bleacher-mom
    March 1 at 2:53 AM
    I called our home school office that oversees the state and they gave me a whole packet, it included all of the homeschool groups in the state.
  • No_Difference
    March 2 at 3:37 PM

If you're in the panhandle, they're few and far between... (thats where I am) Many times, they start out strong, and then by the end of the year have fizzled out. I know there are a few that are online and supposidly meet up, but we gave up at this point.  There is one in Jefferson County that is supposidly decent, and I know a few  people who have gone, or who will continue to, but they go for more of the extras than the actual classes since they were less than impressed with those.

• rmgriffberg
    March 2 at 8:35 PM
    That is where I am and this makes me sad.

Quoting No_Difference:

If you're in the panhandle, they're few and far between... (thats where I am) Many times, they start out strong, and then by the end of the year have fizzled out. I know there are a few that are online and supposidly meet up, but we gave up at this point.  There is one in Jefferson County that is supposidly decent, and I know a few  people who have gone, or who will continue to, but they go for more of the extras than the actual classes since they were less than impressed with those.

• No_Difference
    March 2 at 8:56 PM

I honestly have given up. I have a bunch of homeschool families we've befriended though. Last year I discovered the majority of our summer swim team was homeschooled. Then we started 4H this year after becoming better friends with a homeschool family, and it is entirely 4H kids. On opposite Fridays of 4H, we do a current events co-op, which is basically the same kids from co-op or close family friends who homeschool.

My neighbor who goes to the Jefferson County co-op, she wasn't impressed with the classes she had at least her oldest taking. She felt as if they weren't learning enough, and the snow days didn't help. They spent quite a bit on the co-op too. Next year she said she was just doing the extras with them. A friend from swim team and 4H did it last year, but chose not to do it again for I think similar reasons if I remember correctly. I've heard a few other similar stories so I just stayed away :/

I know a few other homeschool families travel to MD for co-ops. I don't know how often they go though or where in MD they go. I don't want to travel that far all the time lol.

Just out of curiousity what county are you in?

Quoting rmgriffberg: That is where I am and this makes me sad.
    Quoting No_Difference:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN