Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
hipmomto3
Washington DC
February 26 at 5:38 PM

My husband works remotely for a company headquartered near DC. They may want him to come out in April for a week and we'd like to go with him (the company pays for his hotel and everything, we'd just be on our own for food and he'd be busy each day with meetings, but the kids and I could go exploring).

What are your favorite (or favorite you'd LIKE TO) places to visit in DC? We went once, about two years ago - but we had literally less than 1 day to spend there. So we parked at and toured Arlington, then took the train over to the city and saw the Natural History Museum, the Washington Monument, and the Lincoln Memorial. And we were very rushed through all of that.

We have friends nearby who can show us around, too, so that will help. 

Replies

• Molimomma
    February 26 at 5:51 PM

WW II memorial, Air & Space Museum, natural history museum, national zoo and the Air and Space Annex at the airport that has all the planes in it.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 26 at 7:12 PM

All of the Smithsonian & any zoo or aquarium that might be there!

• 4wildbeasts
    February 26 at 7:23 PM
    The Museum of Natural History and the Air and Space Museums are our favorites. The kids also really enjoyed the tour at the National Mint. They do paper money not coins. When they are a little older we will visit the Holocaust Museum. You must be at least eight to enter.
  • 4wildbeasts
    February 26 at 7:31 PM
    I almost forgot the best place of all, the National Museum of Health and Medicine. It is located at the Walter Reed Army Hospital. It has the most awesome and gross stuff ever. For example it has the bullet that killed Lincoln, it has a giant hairball that was removed from the stomach of someone who was addicted to eating hair, it has diseased body parts, and lots of other weird things.
  • kmath
    by kmath
    February 26 at 9:28 PM

Pretty much any part of the Smithsonian, though Air & Space was my favorite when I went there (of course this was when I was a kid).

• No_Difference
    February 26 at 11:16 PM

The zoo, the museum of natural history, the american history museum are typically our favorites
    Depending when you're there in April, even just walking around the mall is really pretty with all the cherry blossoms :)
    If you're there in the beginning of April:

• Southwest Waterfront Fireworks Festival – Saturday, April 5 along the southwest waterfront
  • National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade® – Saturday, April 12 along Constitution Avenue from 7th to 17th streets, NW
  • Sakura Matsuri – Japanese Street Festival – Saturday, April 12 centered at Pennsylvania Avenue and 12th Street, NW

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    February 27 at 9:46 AM

Hit the spy museum.  I think it's in Alexandria.  I've never been, and we've since moved, but it's on our list for when we go back.  
    Roosevelt Island (http://www.nps.gov/this/index.htm).  
    Old Town Alexandria.  Homes/businesses go right to the water, so if there's been a lot of rain, the last couple of blocks can be inaccessible.  But honestly, they've got SKINNY houses there were built in the space between houses.  Fascinating to see.
    If you have transportation, Mount Vernon in VA is worth a trip.
    Reagan National Airport.  SHORT runway on the water. 

• hipmomto3
    February 27 at 10:33 AM

Thanks everyone!

It will likely be the last week of April. We will have a car, but hopefully will just take the train from the suburb where DH's company is, for most of our outings, but we do have a car available to go other places. 

• Pukalani79
    February 27 at 11:39 AM

Mt Vernon

• Liamoondancer
    February 27 at 11:42 AM

Our children really enjoyed the Native American Museum - and , of course, the dinosaurs!  Next visit we would like to take the boat trip down the river from D.C. to visit Mt. Vernon.

• Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
    More Active Posts
    Featured Posts in All Groups
    More Featured Posts