Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
KenneMaw
Working Moms & Homeschooling
February 25 at 5:21 PM

Hello All!

I am new here and brand new (this week actually) to homeschooling.  I have a DD that is in 7th grade.  She has been ill since Thanksgiving and we have decided to homeschool.   She has been diagnosed with chronic migraines (both headaches and abdominal migraines with cyclic vomiting)  Yes, this has been about as joyous as it sounds.  After doing more research, I think she may have chronic fatigue syndrome too.  She went from having straight As, being in the band & chorus and active in school - having the best academic year EVER - to hardly being able to function due to severe migraines that literally last 4-5 days and then start up again after a few good days.  

My Dh and I both work and my mother lives at home with us.   Dh gets home about 1pm and I am adjusting my schedule to be home by 4:30p.   We have found an online homeschool program (this is NOT a online public school) that we will probably use to get us started. 

My question - are any other moms working and homeschooling?   What programs have you liked for your kids?  Have you started mid-year?     The more I read about homescholing options, teh more exciting it is, but dang there is SO much that it is overwhelming.  Has it been trial and error with you kids?

I am open to any and all advice.   THANKS!

Replies

• kirbymom
    February 25 at 5:37 PM
    Hello! :) Welcome to the group. :)
  • mhaney03
    February 25 at 5:42 PM

I do work, but their father is a disabled vet who stays home and does the bulk of their work.

• paganbaby
    February 26 at 12:06 PM

Poor thing! Is there anything that can be done about her migranes? I get them too but not nearly as bad. I can't imagine :-(

• paganbaby
    February 26 at 12:08 PM

Oh and sorry. I didn't answer your question! I don't work but I do plan on going back when ds is in junior high and a bit more independent. I'm not sure what I'll do for him. What program are you using now and does your dd work pretty well on her own?

• KenneMaw
    February 26 at 6:50 PM

In regards to the migraines, she is a daily preventative, which after taking it for about 2 weeks seems to be helping the severity of them.   She also has a host of meds for the headache pain, the stomach pain and the nausea.  I have giving her strong meds, but she feels so terrible, that we have to do that or go to the ER where they will give her an IV of even more meds.   So far, I am happy to report, that she is having a good week :-)

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 26 at 7:02 PM

Welcome to the group! I don't work but know that it is possible because I have friends that work & homeschool. At her age I would think you could have her do some independent work while you are at work & then go over it when you get home! We unschool so no programs here, but I suggest to all new homeschoolers to learn how your child learns best & pick something that is going to be mostly that kind of learning style! We pulled our oldest out of public school in the middle of the 6TH grade & let him deschool the rest of that year & started in the fall with some eclectic homeschooling before we finely decided to go down the unschooling path! Yes, it has been trial & error & that is the reason we chose unschooling in the end.

• rsrangel
    February 26 at 8:26 PM
    My husband and I both work (I work part time), and we homeschool a 3rd and 1st grader. We also have 2 in private school. My husband is involved, and together we make it work with us and my mother helping to watch them. Good luck!
  • coala
    by coala
    February 26 at 9:53 PM

Both of us work, but we work from home.  BTW I'm sorry to hear about your DD.  The pediatrician I worked for had her DD go through something very similar while she was in HS.  She was hospital homebound for nearly 18 mos and still graduated on time.  My children are much younger than yours and we have found that we really like Abeka...but this curriculum isn't for everyone.  With a lot of families it can be trial and error to find what you and they really like and what works.  Good luck and welcome to the group, we have an amazing bunch of ladies here.

• eventtalk
    February 27 at 11:57 PM
    I consult and freelance part-time, so work around the family's schedule. What I've found to be the most helpful is finding other HS near you, especially forums like this, who physically meet up once and awhile. Ask the local group what they are using for such and such and ask if you can take a look at it. Definitely recommend OP's suggestion to find out your DD's learning style. It will help you wade through your choices. 'Discover Your Child's Learning Style' can be bought from Amazon if not available locally.
  • TJandKarasMom
    February 28 at 7:25 AM
    I work pt and homeschool, it's definitely doable but takes more organization and planning on my part (which I am working very hard on!) my kids are in 5th and 6th grades and this is our first year hsing, we took them out of ps at the end of last year.

I piece together our own curriculum because we can't really afford to buy a full one. Next year I plan to have them attend some online classes that our state offers for free. There are quite a few programs that should help with her doing work without you, then you can go over it together when you get home. I'm still trying to figure out some things like that for next year for us.

Good luck, homeschooling is totally worth it and doable. I'm glad you're finding the medication and means to help your dd feel better, hope she continues to have a good week!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts