Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
youngartista
Another NewB with questions!!
February 24 at 8:11 PM

I have two dd's. My olddest is in 1st grade and we moved to a new state.. She was ahead of her class when starting, but she seems to be back tracking.. 'Dumbing it down' so to say.. Along with many other PS issues, we've decided homeschooling would be our best bet for both of them starting the next school year! I just wanted to know what everyone thought about school work.. Work books, text books, full on site curriculums, online, or just worksheet books? I mean they would only be in K and 2nd.. So are worksheet books just a stand in or do they work for a daily thing? I'm so lost!! I was homeschooled when i was in grades6+... Well, unschooled would be an understatement.. Basically they paid for one grade level and they just stopped.. I took my GED at 19 after being teased by a few people, and pushed by others.. So i don't know structure types, and what is necessary!! SORRY, rant over! Please help!

BTW!! I passed my GED with flying colors and am not unable to teach my children. My parents just stopped caring, not me. ;)

Replies

• Silverkitty
    February 24 at 8:25 PM

With homeschooling it's a mix of what works best for the kids and the family mostly.  Some states have what subjects need to be taught when, but not how to teach.   Find how your girls learn best and go from there.

My daughter hates textbooks, but loves write in texts and workbooks.  She also likes to read books about history and not just the facts.  She is also very hands on, so anything she can put together she usually enjoys.

My son who is 3, so far enjoys workbooks and flash cards and hands on activities.  It will be interesting to see how he grows.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 24 at 10:39 PM

You need to learn the laws for your state & then figure out what their learning styles are! That will let you know what you have to cover & how you should cover it! Then you can decide on what you want to use!

• romacox
    by romacox
    February 25 at 6:09 AM

Sounds like you are well qualified.  You understand inner determination, verses cramming information into a child...Home School is not the class room.

As a Home School Workshop leader, I created a free web page to answer the many questions NewBs have.

How To Home School. 

• debramommyof4
    February 25 at 11:49 AM
    Lessonpathways.com and allinonehomescool.com are free curriculums and workbooks are a good add in to them. Good luck.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 25 at 5:40 PM
    What everyone else said! We are quasi unschoolers. We do a little of everything. I use workbooks, online curriculum, textbooks, hands on activities, living books, and the library. It is important to be flexible and learn as you go. There a bunch of homeschooling books that I have found hopeful.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN