Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
paganbaby
Reading is a fail :-/
February 24 at 11:14 AM

Lately I've been feeling paranoid about 9yo ds's reading skills. I know I said before I was going to let it go and let reading happen naturally but then that little voice started screaming "It's not enough!" 

So I went out and bought a sponge bob comic, the funnies from the newspaper and a couple books I thought he would like. When we started school I sat him down and explained we were going to do some reading. He just looked at me like I sucked all the flavor from his ice cream. You can guess how reading time went :-(

Sigh...so I gave up again. I told the little voice in my head to stuff it; either he'll read or he won't. No point in making both of us miserable.

Then last night! He was messing around too much brushing his teeth and we ran out of time to read a story (I always read a chapter of Life of Fred) I told him time's up, I'm leaving. He was bummed but I stood firm and walked away. A little while later I heard talking and laughing from the bathroom. I peeked around the corner and saw him... reading Life of Fred! He came out about 20 minutes later and told me how funny the book was.

*Win* Hopefully now I've learned my lesson. No more reading lessons!

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 24 at 11:16 AM

I'm a huge believer in the carrot and stick approach, repeat as necessary. LOL Dangle the carrot, prod with the stick, dangle the carrot.

• paganbaby
    February 24 at 11:18 AM

LOL!

I'm trying to figure out how to use this to my advantage,lol.

Quoting mem82:

I'm a huge believer in the carrot and stick approach, repeat as necessary. LOL Dangle the carrot, prod with the stick, dangle the carrot.

• AllofFive19
    February 24 at 11:26 AM

Awesome!

• bluerooffarm
    February 24 at 11:48 AM

IMO, buy the sponge bob (shudders, I hate that show!)  buy some other cool comics and funny pages.  Then drop them around the house, open to some really funny pages.  Just wait.  LOL

I'm having a similar thing happening with my soon to be 7yo.  The coffe table in the living room has the Plants Vrs Zombies Almanac, some Scooby Doo I can read books, Plants Bite Back, Crazy Nature, and a Scary Stories Treasury open to various cool stories.  NOW he's reading all the time.  The cool pictures just suck him right in and he wants to know why things are happening!  I never thought I would be quite this unschooling!  Yikes!  I still make him read to me each and every day, but now he's also starting to read for himself.  Woot!

• celtic77dragon
    February 24 at 12:35 PM

That is awesome. 

Are there no lessons on phonics rules at all??? Just curious.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    February 24 at 1:02 PM

I think a lot of times we put pressure on things to happen on our time frame.  Glad you could provide an opportunity for him to make it happen!  :)

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 24 at 1:30 PM

That is so great!

• Silverkitty
    February 24 at 1:54 PM

My daughter didn't start really reading until she was 11.  Now she reads everything I assign her and even picks out books to read.  It does take patients, but eventually they get there.  I started with not forcing her to read, but letting her pick what she wanted to read  It was annoying since all she wanted to read were simple books many grade levels below where I knew she was and could be, but it helped.

It's great when kids do on their own what we know they can do and told them they could.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 24 at 2:11 PM
    My son was and is the same way. He is 10 and just starting to really read. Garfield comic books are what turned him on to reading. It gave him the confidence he needed. I still have smother that voice. A month ago I was worried that my son hadn't been reading at all. I should have known better. I keep a box of books for him to read from the library. I went through the box and every book I pulled out he had already read. He was reading behind my back. He thought it was hilarious.
  • paganbaby
    February 24 at 4:51 PM

I am so doing that!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

IMO, buy the sponge bob (shudders, I hate that show!)  buy some other cool comics and funny pages.  Then drop them around the house, open to some really funny pages.  Just wait.  LOL

I'm having a similar thing happening with my soon to be 7yo.  The coffe table in the living room has the Plants Vrs Zombies Almanac, some Scooby Doo I can read books, Plants Bite Back, Crazy Nature, and a Scary Stories Treasury open to various cool stories.  NOW he's reading all the time.  The cool pictures just suck him right in and he wants to know why things are happening!  I never thought I would be quite this unschooling!  Yikes!  I still make him read to me each and every day, but now he's also starting to read for himself.  Woot!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts