Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
butterflycircle
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons
February 24 at 8:30 AM

Have you tried it? Did you likeit? Didit work? Thoughts? How old was your child?

My son is 3 1/2 bday in June. we have been doing ABC flash cards and he knows all but 3letters. He also knows many of their letter sounds. I'm thinking about trying this book. We also have BOB books that we have been working on too. They are really helping to reinforce letter sounds too.

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 33% - Liked it
  2. 22% - Didn't likeit
  3. 44% - Other

Replies

• paganbaby
    February 24 at 11:19 AM

I haven't tried it but here's a bump!

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 24 at 11:25 AM

I liked the first chapters that the adult reads because I think it does a great job of teaching *how* to teach reading. My son wouldn't have liked the book because he is simply to active for something like that.

• AllofFive19
    February 24 at 11:27 AM

Never heard of it.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    February 24 at 1:00 PM

My sons loves it, I hate it.  We do it because he enjoys it, but it can be a bit painful.  But I gotta say, he's getting it.  :)

• katyq
    by katyq
    February 24 at 1:24 PM

My son will also be 4 in June:) I have the book and have been pondering whether I should begin with it in June but really, 3 months is a long ways, developmentally. I have no idea where my son will be at by that time so I will just have to wait and see. I have heard great things about the book and I do have it. The lessons look pretty simple.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 24 at 1:29 PM

We tried it with our daughter when she was 5 & she hated it. So we stopped using it! None of the reading programs we have tried have worked. What we do now is just have them read along with us. When they ask what a word is we tell them what it is, what it means & how to use it in a sentence. That seams to be working better then anything else has!

• butterflycircle
    February 24 at 2:12 PM

well i ordered the book. when it gets here i think i will read over it and go from there. we might try it and if it isn't something he is interested in yet we will wait. he really loves reading right now so i want to run with it lol but i don't want to push him if he isn't ready.

Quoting katyq:

My son will also be 4 in June:) I have the book and have been pondering whether I should begin with it in June but really, 3 months is a long ways, developmentally. I have no idea where my son will be at by that time so I will just have to wait and see. I have heard great things about the book and I do have it. The lessons look pretty simple.

• hipmomto3
    February 24 at 9:29 PM

We love it. All three of our kids learned to read this way. 

It becomes tedious and cumbersome midway through. None of the kids finished all 100 lessons - somewhere between 50 and 75 was plenty for each of them. By that point they were ready for easy readers (pre-1 and level 1, and soon thereafter, level 2 and on up). 

• Mweddle
    by Mweddle
    February 25 at 11:36 AM

I LOVE it.  My daughter has severe ADHD problems and it is made in such a way that it keeps the distractions to a minimum.  She went from not being about to read simple words to reading paragraphs (we are on lessons 55)  I am a believer  in that program.  It has worked for us.  It doesn't take long and its great for kids who are easily distracted.  I will use it for my younger two kids. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts