Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
patnic
Favorite Math Curriculum for typical kids/not advanced - Update
by patnic
February 23 at 9:00 AM

I am looking for your favorite math curriculum for children who are typical.  Abeka, Christian Light, Math U See, Apolgia??

***Update***  Thank you for all your replies.  I found a homeschooling event that I can attend and view all the options.

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    February 23 at 11:53 AM

JMath U See and

Hands On Math Activities

• all2gethernow
    February 23 at 11:54 AM
    Love Teaching Textbooks:)
  • irvinehiker
    February 23 at 11:58 AM
    I use Math Mammoth for both my kids age 10 and 12. It uses a mastery approach and is in worktext form. Very affordable and visually appealing with some color but not overly flashy.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 23 at 12:15 PM
    Math u see and life of fred. My kids love it. One is gifted and one is not gifted. It works well for both of them.
  • paganbaby
    February 23 at 12:59 PM

We use k5 learning. It has an option to sign up for 199 a year or 25 a month but I just use it for the free worksheets. My son hates works sheets (too mant problems on a page overwhelm him) so I copy them down a few at a time on the white board.

• paganbaby
    February 23 at 1:00 PM

I forgot! We use life of fred also,lol.

Quoting jen2150: Math u see and life of fred. My kids love it. One is gifted and one is not gifted. It works well for both of them.

• Jilectan
    February 23 at 2:44 PM

Math Mammoth is a good one, if you like mastery type math curriculum. It's working pretty well for my daughter, strangely, who probably has LDs, but not my son. Saxon is pretty good, too, if you like the spiral method. We're using Saxon 5/4 for my 9 year old. He says it's harder than MM and isn't as boring, since it goes over things from previous lessons and not just the new stuff. I don't think my kids are advanced. hth.

• bluerooffarm
    February 23 at 4:49 PM

Math U See!  All three of mine love it and they all have completely different learning styles!

• NYCitymomx3
    February 23 at 5:02 PM

I believe Saxon Math is perfect for typical kids.  It's a spiral program and past lessons are continuously practiced - which, imo, is the best way to retain what you learn in math.  Saxon explains everything wonderfully, then has about 5-10 practice problems on the new lesson, and 30 problems of review.  My ds has become so good at math using this program.  We started with Saxon 76 in 6th grade and now he's doing Saxon Algebra 1/2 for 7th grade (some people use Saxon 87 instead).  We take our time and usually spread a lesson out over 2 days.  Even though I've tried to change to something else (just for variety), ds always asks to go back to Saxon. So, we plan on using it for the long haul.  

There are plenty of naysayers out there and I believed them so I stayed away for years.  Thankfully, I finally gave it a shot.  It's plain, simple, and to the point.  Ds does the problems on a white board.  Math takes us 30 minutes a day.

• KickButtMama
    February 23 at 7:53 PM

Math u see is great for the hands on. Otherwise we liked IXL.com 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts