Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
dougiesmom
SOS vs LifePAC, advise please?
February 20 at 3:01 AM

My oldest child is currently using SOS, and would like to continue using it. However, I have had no end this year with computer problems because almost weekly she messes with something on the computer to change the settings that I have to go in and fix. (She's ADD with hyperactivity. VERY easily distracted.) No amount of discussion, punishment, etc, will make her stop. (The most recent was when she locked the computer out with a password, and no one knew what the password was. That was a fun time fixing that one!) So, as much as she enjoys getting to do her work on the computer, I've been considering switching her to workbooks for obvious reasons. I can get a year's worth of curriculum for about the same price for SOS or LifePAC, so I was wondering if anyone here had experience with both and could tell me what they like/don't like when comparing the two.

Right off hand, I'm already worried that workbooks will be harder to have her redo if she messes up, with erasing pencil marks not being quite as tidy as clearing out a computer file (and erasing a lesson just seems like it might humiliate her, as there's evidence she already tried it, where clearing out the lesson so she can try again is more like a clean slate). On the other hand, that poor computer won't make it much longer if she doesn't stop fooling around with things, and with two other kids and a household to manage, I can't stand over her shoulder all day. Her handwriting is great, but she hates writing, and completely locks up when having to copy (e.g., spelling words). Any advice is much appreciated! :)

Replies

• No_Difference
    February 20 at 8:24 AM

If you're using Windows, have you thought about a seperate user account on windows for her? Then there are "shell" programs that would prevent her from being able to access settings. Here is a link to a review on one (I think it also links with the program), so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.  http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/kidsmenu-locks-windows-xp-away-from-wandering-fingers/  I know there are other type of programs out there like this too, where its specifically meant to prevent kids from accessing stuff they shouldn't, I just can't seem to find them at the moment :/

I haven't used any of those programs so I'm not much help there.

• dougiesmom
    February 20 at 12:10 PM

I have, since the password debacle, set the computer up better--removing her admin status and creating an admin account for myself. It never occurred to me to do that, as it's an old computer with no internet access or anything, and all she's supposed to be doing is clicking on her schoolwork.

Quoting No_Difference:

If you're using Windows, have you thought about a seperate user account on windows for her? Then there are "shell" programs that would prevent her from being able to access settings. Here is a link to a review on one (I think it also links with the program), so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.  http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/kidsmenu-locks-windows-xp-away-from-wandering-fingers/  I know there are other type of programs out there like this too, where its specifically meant to prevent kids from accessing stuff they shouldn't, I just can't seem to find them at the moment :/

• paganbaby
    February 20 at 10:25 PM

No clue. I don't use a boxed curriculum. But here's a bump!

• kirbymom
    February 21 at 12:08 PM
    Oh sorry but I'm no help here. I make most of our curriculum. But here's a b7mp for you though.
  • No_Difference
    February 21 at 7:26 PM

Even without having internet, a shell program might help keep the distractions down as there would only be what you want her to access available to access and nothing else...old or new :) I'm highly considering it for my kids just to keep them out of folders I don't want them digging in lol

Quoting dougiesmom:

I have, since the password debacle, set the computer up better--removing her admin status and creating an admin account for myself. It never occurred to me to do that, as it's an old computer with no internet access or anything, and all she's supposed to be doing is clicking on her schoolwork.

Quoting No_Difference:

• dougiesmom
    February 22 at 12:37 AM

I'll have to look into it this weekend. I swear this child would get distracted in a room with nothing but blank walls in it. And I'd like to think most of the computer issues are just from random clicking, but yesterday there was a "cannot burn selected files to CD" message on the screen when I got on there. My husband asked if she was trying to erase the disk so she didn't have to do the work anymore. I'd like to think not, but... :/

Quoting No_Difference:

Even without having internet, a shell program might help keep the distractions down as there would only be what you want her to access available to access and nothing else...old or new :) I'm highly considering it for my kids just to keep them out of folders I don't want them digging in lol

• No_Difference
    February 22 at 8:31 AM

That's easy enough to happen with accidental clicking...with enough clicking. If she was in the cd trying to open something, it could've been as simple as dragging a file already in there and dropping it "in" again depending on the type of cd it is and cd burner. I'll keep my fingers crossed it was accidental with you :)

Quoting dougiesmom:

I'll have to look into it this weekend. I swear this child would get distracted in a room with nothing but blank walls in it. And I'd like to think most of the computer issues are just from random clicking, but yesterday there was a "cannot burn selected files to CD" message on the screen when I got on there. My husband asked if she was trying to erase the disk so she didn't have to do the work anymore. I'd like to think not, but... :/

Quoting No_Difference:

• celtic77dragon
    February 22 at 6:14 PM

How old is this child that is doing this stuff and does she have any behavioral issues?

• dougiesmom
    February 23 at 5:01 PM

She's 11, and is diagnosed ADD with hyperactivity (apparently different somehow than ADHD). She has been medicated in the past, but is currently not. That's one of the many reason we're home now; public school was the reason we medicated, but we didn't like the side effects. We also have a lot of restrictions on her diet to help with it.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

How old is this child that is doing this stuff and does she have any behavioral issues?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts