Homeschooling Moms

usmom3
Why some kids can’t spell and why spelling tests won’t help
by usmom3
BJ
February 19 at 4:18 PM

I found this an interesting read & thought some of you might too!

CLICK TO READ

Replies

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    February 19 at 5:00 PM

Thank you!  I've been trying to get motivated to do more with spelling, I think that may have gotten me there!

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 19 at 5:11 PM
    Great article. We stopped spelling the beginning of the year and love it. At least the traditional way.
  • Jilectan
    February 19 at 5:54 PM

Very interesting read. We don't really teach spelling as a seperate subject. We do it as part of writing. So far, only my son is doing this, the others aren't ready for it. DS will write some sentences, or a paragraph or something. I go through it and check for grammar and spelling, then discuss what needs to be changed. He looks up any words that were misspelled, reads the definition to me, then fixes his paper. It's working so far.

• julesjerry
    February 19 at 6:37 PM

Good article, thanks for sharing.

• TJandKarasMom
    February 19 at 7:25 PM
    Thanks for sharing. I agree with it, I just don't know how to do something completely different. We are doing Apples and Pears for DD which seems to be working, but I like the idea of also teaching her to look for the meaning... that doesn't help with everything,but it would help a lot I think.
  • coala
    by coala
    February 19 at 8:57 PM

That was quite an interesting article.  Although I do agree with most of what she says....I do however feel that testing the spelling gives me a better idea of how my children are doing with their phonics.

• paganbaby
    February 19 at 9:10 PM

We don't do spelling at all. I've found that 9yo ds (late reader and speller) learned all by himself through reading. The words he spells the best are the ones he reads most frequently. And of course he knows the meanings of the words because he only reads things that important/interesting to him.

• KickButtMama
    February 20 at 3:52 PM

I loved it! I am speaking from the position of someone who learned English as a second language. I STILL don't understand the spelling rules for English, and I've been here since I was 8!! (So it's been...er....a long time). My first language was German, which is a phonetic language, you don't deal with the letters 'sometimes' sounding like this, or being a vowel or a consonant based on that....there are just so MANY rules to remember that if you are not a naturally gifted speller, then it can be daunting. Give be a nearly impossible calculus equation or complex quantum physics conundrum, and I'm in heaven and can pick apart the details in 5 seconds....give me a list of spelling words /grammar rules, and I probably would spend hours staring off into space...

• Mandallyn
    February 24 at 10:15 AM

I thought everyone taught this way...??  That's how I was taught spelling.  Strange...

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts