Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Jilectan
Just a little sleep deprived vent
February 18 at 11:51 AM

I am so frustrated and feel so bad for my daughter! I wish I could just call the developmental clinic today and schedule her an appointment. I have to wait a week from today, even though I dropped the questionaire in the mail Sunday because of the holiday. She wants to learn to read so badly! It kills me to watch her struggling to read simple words like Nat as ant and struggle over reading things she's been practicing for weeks! We've been working on the McGuffey's Eclectic Primer for so long, now, and she's only on lesson three. She gets so frustrated when she substitutes words and I ask her to look at the word again.

She told me yesterday that she wants to learn to program mods for Minecraft. I don't know when she'll be able to do that, but I know she can't right now. :( I told her that once she could read better, I'd work on it with her. She immediately wanted to work on her reading again, even though I let the kids have a vacation day yesterday.

I know she understands more complicated things than the primer. I've been reading her things like Little House on the Prairie and Vet Volunteers (she has aspirations to be a vet). I know she understands them perfectly, because I ask her questions as we go and she knows the answers and isn't just parroting the book. She just can't read these things and it kills me to see her struggling so hard and not making much progress.

ETA: I feel like I'm failing her so badly, like there's something I did to cause this.

Feel free to ignore this, I always get emotional when I'm operating on 3 hours of sleep.

Replies

• ablackdolphin
    February 18 at 1:09 PM

Hugs to you both!!! I hope you are able to get in and get some help soon!

• Jilectan
    February 18 at 1:39 PM

Thanks. I keep telling myself it's only a week, right?

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Hugs to you both!!! I hope you are able to get in and get some help soon!

• paganbaby
    February 18 at 7:28 PM

How old is she?

• Jilectan
    February 18 at 7:40 PM

7 1/2

Quoting paganbaby:

How old is she?

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 18 at 7:47 PM

My son had a lot of the same problems. Did you rule out an eye sight problem? That was half of my son's problem.

He just turned nine and honestly, it's only been in the last 8 months that he has started to read. He struggled for years, too. 8(

• paganbaby
    February 18 at 7:52 PM

That was a big issue with my ds too.

Quoting mem82:

My son had a lot of the same problems. Did you rule out an eye sight problem? That was half of my son's problem.

He just turned nine and honestly, it's only been in the last 8 months that he has started to read. He struggled for years, too. 8(

• Jilectan
    February 18 at 7:59 PM

We just recently saw her optometrist. She is slightly near sighted, but her doctor recommended against getting glasses for her, right now, since she's homeschooled. She said she would only recommend glasses if she was in public school, because she'd need to see the board more clearly. She said that, if she got glasses right now, there's a good possibility that she would do what I did and her eyesight would get worse really fast. Other than that, she doesn't have any eye problems that her optometrist could detect.

Quoting mem82:

• KickButtMama
    February 18 at 10:35 PM

I suggest checking out CODE.org. It helps with learning beginning programming (like for mods) but there is almost no writing. It's all visual and conceptual.  My kids love it. Otherwise, hugs on the reading issues. I know that can be difficult.

• Jilectan
    February 18 at 11:05 PM

I'll check that out, thanks.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I suggest checking out CODE.org. It helps with learning beginning programming (like for mods) but there is almost no writing. It's all visual and conceptual.  My kids love it. Otherwise, hugs on the reading issues. I know that can be difficult.

• terpmama
    February 18 at 11:16 PM
    Could it be dyslexia? Or similar issues? I'm sure there's support for those types of issues. My oldest is the only one remotely ready to read (next kid is 3)... And he's been reading for about a year now (he's 5 and in pre k). He likes having the closed captioning on so he can read along with his favorite shows, maybe that would help?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN