Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
tntmom1027
My 6 yr old is flying through everything I give him.
February 17 at 4:09 PM

We are newer to homeschool(I took him out of public school(kindergarten) during christmas break).  I have been trying to really figure out where all he stands as far as abilities. We have been using Allinonehomeschool.com curriculum especially for the reading(He is using the Mcguffey primer) and Math(using Math 1). He zips through it so fast. He can easilly do two days worth of the reading in 1 hour but when I try to move him up to the Grade 1 english he is overwhelmed so we have been sticking with the to 100's of the primer. He does the same with the Math he zips through it all. 

I've been doing my own history and science lessons using unit studies and we practice some writting and Calendar work. But this isn't an everyday thing but a couple times a week. 

I just feel like he is "done with school" in an hour or two especially if we only do "1 day" of work. 

Guess I mostly feel like we aren't doing enough but he is doing plenty. Anyone else have this problem? 

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 17 at 4:15 PM

Sounds like you are doing fine. Remember, emotionally a child might not be ready to do work he has the intellectual ability to do. My son easily gets overwhelmed if he sees something that might be 'hard'.

Next thing to remember is that in Kinder, an hour a day of learning is all he would get at public school. It takes time to teach 25 kinders. LOL After bathroom breaks, everyone getting crayons, everyone sitting down, blah blah blah, a lot of time is wasted.

If you want him to do more, keep the tv off. Let him get bored. Strew items for him to find and explore. You will find a pattern.

• debramommyof4
    February 17 at 4:17 PM
    I do. My kids can go through so much, but they get done so quickly.

I give them their weekly work on Monday and then they can complete it as quickly as they want as long as it is done on Friday by noon.

That has helped my anxiety a bit.

If they finish it all in two days I add a little more so that it is at least 4 days of work for them if not 5.
  • KickButtMama
    February 17 at 4:17 PM

Actually an hour to two hours is totally normal for that age with homeschool. Remember this is all one-on-one, in ps there is a lot of waiting time. One thing many people stress about in the beginning is how fast you can get through a days worth of work. This isn't OS where we all have to wait for the slowest kid in class to complete something. Your doing great!

• ablackdolphin
    February 17 at 4:27 PM

If he is by chance gifted please remember that MORE is not better....better quality materials are better. There is no need to keep doing worksheet after worksheet if he gets it. 

That is one downside to homeschooling, we always feel like we are not doing enough!

• tntmom1027
    February 17 at 4:37 PM

I'm not sure I woudl say he is necessarily gifted but one of the reasons we took him out of public school is because he wasn't challenged he was bored and there wasn't anything they could/would do for him. His age was a factor as he barely missed the cutoff age for kinder last year and he was easily ready for it(we have always worked with him on learning but in a very laid back way). We did a preschool program last year that was great and more on level with what they were teach here for kinder. Last year was a gymnastic/preschool set up which he loved and had we not moved I probably would have put him into thier kinder program :) 

I feel like I'm always looking for things(worksheets etc) for him which is fine just amazing how much he sucks up and how fast he comprehends stuff. lol 

Quoting ablackdolphin:

If he is by chance gifted please remember that MORE is not better....better quality materials are better. There is no need to keep doing worksheet after worksheet if he gets it. 

That is one downside to homeschooling, we always feel like we are not doing enough!

• romacox
    by romacox
    February 17 at 5:50 PM

way to go

• kirbymom
    February 17 at 7:49 PM
    Sounds like you are doing great! Just keep doing what you're already doing until your son is ready for something different or is ready for the next level of learning.
  • kmath
    by kmath
    February 17 at 8:20 PM

Sounds like you are doing a great job.  I wouldn't push it at his age, unless he wants too!

• celtic77dragon
    February 17 at 8:20 PM

I don't see anything wrong with him going at th speed that suits him. IF you wanted to milk it out a bit, you could find things to throw into the mix - like related projects or create a cool reading environment or have play related educational activities (make the bed a pirate ship and through play learn about compasses, maps, etc). 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 17 at 8:28 PM

It only feels like it is not enough because when children are in public school we are under the false impression that they are working & learning the majority of the time they are there. When in actuality they are only getting about 2 hours of actual work done. You just don't have a class full of children to guide so getting things done & transitioning takes no time at all!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts