Homeschooling Moms

Silverkitty
Always changing my mind.
February 13 at 9:03 PM

So I had thought I had everything figured out for school.  Then I started looking at other things.  I really should stop that.

Question:  How many books with study guides should I use?  When not using a study guide there will be free reading of books anyways.

Science:  Video vs reading books and lap reports?  Science Fusion or Elemental Science.

Grammar:  Easy Grammar Plus vs GUM Drops and Giggly Guide to Grammar.

Everything else I've pretty much figured out.  These are the ones I'm always questioning.

Replies

• bldjrs123
    February 14 at 9:35 AM

I havent used or looked at those but im going to be using either grow with grammer ( is like $35 bucks for the set) or the language mechanic (is $25) ..... and for science i found the lab of Mr. Q ( you get the life science book and teacher guide free  then after that its $50 for each other books sets)

• TidewaterClan
    February 14 at 9:44 AM
    As far as science goes, my oldest (6th) loves science fusion and all of the online tools. My youngest (3rd) is a hold a book kind of gal. I think it depends on your daughter as it which would work best. You guys are middle school? The SF 6-8 units are under $30 and you get a year online access once you activate it. You could see how she likes it & work through one unit.
  • Silverkitty
    February 14 at 10:58 AM

We are middle school, yes.  I can not find the science fusion less than $38.

Quoting TidewaterClan: As far as science goes, my oldest (6th) loves science fusion and all of the online tools. My youngest (3rd) is a hold a book kind of gal. I think it depends on your daughter as it which would work best. You guys are middle school? The SF 6-8 units are under $30 and you get a year online access once you activate it. You could see how she likes it & work through one unit.

• TidewaterClan
    February 14 at 11:24 AM
    I bought it for $27 when that homeschool co-op had a special on it a few months ago. You can type "homeschool buyers co-op" in your browser and they'll come up. I have no idea how often that's one of their specials.

http://www.pandemoniumbooksellers.com/#!houghton-miffln-harcourt/canh

Use the code on this page to get 20% off and free shipping. The lady is SUPER nice. If you're interested send her an email & tell her you're thinking of Module A - Cells & Heredity (or whichever - you decide where you start) & just need the softcover student book & online access. Her site changed completely and you don't need the $90 teachers book. :)

Quoting Silverkitty:

We are middle school, yes.  I can not find the science fusion less than $38.

Quoting TidewaterClan: As far as science goes, my oldest (6th) loves science fusion and all of the online tools. My youngest (3rd) is a hold a book kind of gal. I think it depends on your daughter as it which would work best. You guys are middle school? The SF 6-8 units are under $30 and you get a year online access once you activate it. You could see how she likes it & work through one unit.

• bluerooffarm
    February 14 at 11:34 AM

Literature books with study guides?

When I taught in PS, we usually did 6 novels with study guides during the year.  I try to keep that in mind and do more than that for us here at home.

If I got that wrong, sorry.

Other than that, I've never used any of those.  Good luck!

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 14 at 1:50 PM

LOL I need to stop looking too!

• AutymsMommy
    February 14 at 2:40 PM

I haven't heard great things about Elemental Science, just as an fyi. I think people said "busy work" and that it didn't flow very well? I don't remember exactly, just that it didn't have great reviews. Oh, and typos - they said it had the motherload of typos.

• AutymsMommy
    February 14 at 2:41 PM

Just keep in mind that if you print out the books, instead of reading them on PDF (we hate screen reading), it is MUCH more than $50 per book.

Quoting bldjrs123:

I havent used or looked at those but im going to be using either grow with grammer ( is like $35 bucks for the set) or the language mechanic (is $25) ..... and for science i found the lab of Mr. Q ( you get the life science book and teacher guide free  then after that its $50 for each other books sets)

• Silverkitty
    February 14 at 3:52 PM

I was looking at 10 books with study guides, I started to wonder if that was to much.  Some one told me Five books was reasonable.  I figured ____ books with guides with added poetry.  Just need to figure out the number of guides.  She will always be reading something.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Literature books with study guides?

When I taught in PS, we usually did 6 novels with study guides during the year.  I try to keep that in mind and do more than that for us here at home.

If I got that wrong, sorry.

Other than that, I've never used any of those.  Good luck!

• Silverkitty
    February 14 at 3:53 PM

Hum, I'll look for more reviews.  Finding a good science is always hard for me.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I haven't heard great things about Elemental Science, just as an fyi. I think people said "busy work" and that it didn't flow very well? I don't remember exactly, just that it didn't have great reviews. Oh, and typos - they said it had the motherload of typos.

Homeschooling Moms