Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
jojo1974
Less time/More subjects or work until finished
February 13 at 12:04 AM

We have only been homeschooling a month or so, but I am having the hardest time getting my 6.5 yo twins to focus and actually finish an assignment in anything close to a timely manner.  We do have some ADD issues.

What do you think would be better?

Setting a time limit for an assignment and stopping and moving to the next subject whether finished or not?

or

Working until the assignment is finished even if that is all that gets done that day?

Experiences and comments welcome!

Replies

• KickButtMama
    February 13 at 12:08 AM

W/ the add I'd definitely set time then move on, otherwise it will be a big battle 

• Silverkitty
    February 13 at 12:09 AM

We did both.  What worked best with my daughter when she was younger was setting a time for anything that was a workbook.  History and Science we usually did until the activity was done.

Now that my daughter is older, I tell her what time I want everything done by.  If she isn't done, she has less free time in the evenings.

• katyq
    by katyq
    February 13 at 12:28 AM

Have you looked into work boxes? You just set each assignment and all of the required materials in individual boxes and as they work through, they have to put a color coded sticker on a chart  for each individual box . They would have to get through x  number of boxes before they reach the one that has the "lunch time" card at the bottom. You can also add a snack to one box and a note in other with instructions like "do 10 jumping jacks before you start your math worksheet" etc. they work almost entirely at their own pace. 

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 13 at 8:11 AM
    If he is interested I wouldn't set a time limit. If he spends two hours on one subject just go with it. You can work the other subjects into what he is interested in doing.If he starts showing signs of being unhappy then maybe a stricter schedule may help. My boys can get very involved in something so I mostly just go with it. Many times I will read a book on subjects he missed while he was absorbed in what he was interested in. I life the life of fred way of doing things. His books combine all the subjects. He said he never taught math to his students. He simply just taught them. He never seperated the subjects. For example if he get really involved in math, science, or writing. I would read a book that covered the other subjects or the subject he was interested in learning. Play around with different ways of doing things until you find what works. Hope you find what works for you.
  • jojo1974
    February 13 at 9:57 AM

I have  a system similar to the work boxes but I can't even use it right now because they need such supervision.

We do take frequent breaks and I tell them to do things like jump on the mini trampoline for 5 minutes or run laps in the house.  I try to make the breaks activity oriented to refocus their bodies.

We are having a hard time finding their currency as well.  They don't have regular tv or electronic time, so we can't take it away.  The only thing that seems to motivate them is taking away reading at bed time.  But, really, who wants to take reading away as a punishment!

• paganbaby
    February 13 at 11:30 AM

If they're going slow because they're not interested, I'd set a timer and move on to the next subject. If it's something they really like and are just absorbed, let em run with it.

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 13 at 11:34 AM

Can you give us a run down of what you are wanting to do each day? I know a lot of kids just can't sit at that age.

• paganbaby
    February 13 at 11:37 AM

I would avoid punishment when it comes to school work. You want learning to be fun, not a chore. Now is there a particular subject they don't like? Or the way it's taught? For instance, my ds HATES worksheets. They freak him out. So we do traditional math on the white board and Life of Fred at bedtime. For history and science, he dictates to me and I write in his journal. As for writing assingments? Forget it. We do comic books :-) I draw the pictures and he captions what's going on. It works out very well.

It took a lot of trial and error to find out what works for him. Hell, we're still figuring oit out. Bottom line, don't be afraid to switch it up with your girls. I'm told the first year is supossed to look like a mess,lol. (I remind myself of that all the time ;-)

Quoting jojo1974:

I have  a system similar to the work boxes but I can't even use it right now because they need such supervision.

We do take frequent breaks and I tell them to do things like jump on the mini trampoline for 5 minutes or run laps in the house.  I try to make the breaks activity oriented to refocus their bodies.

We are having a hard time finding their currency as well.  They don't have regular tv or electronic time, so we can take it away.  The only thing that seems to motivate them is taking away reading at bed time.  But, really, who wants to take reading away as a punishment!

• katyq
    by katyq
    February 13 at 12:14 PM

Maybe doing just about everything hands on in a circle time format would be helpful. Also, you might try giving extra chores as discipline.

Quoting jojo1974:

We are having a hard time finding their currency as well.  They don't have regular tv or electronic time, so we can't take it away.  The only thing that seems to motivate them is taking away reading at bed time.  But, really, who wants to take reading away as a punishment!

• bluerooffarm
    February 13 at 12:19 PM

How much are you expecting done?  How long does it take to do it?  How long does it take to "do school" each day?  What subjects are you particularly having problems with?

For us personally, we did a couple complete overhauls of what I expected, what they were capable of doing, and where we wanted to go before we really got rolling with this homeschooling journey.  Each month we come back to the drawing board and change up things that are not working.   We do math and language arts daily but some months we block schedule everything else and some months we add history and science to the dailies and only block the music, art, home-ec, and typing.  Having my kids vote on it and have a say in how it's done has really helped them work to keep it going.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts