Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
SarahinWA
Notifying the School
February 11 at 8:34 PM

I am about to submit our official "Declaration of Intent" to the school district.  But I am trying to figure out the best way to go about notifying the school and teachers.  We are planning on making the switch as of March 3rd. Do I go up to the school, submit a letter, and then try to catch up with the teachers?  I don't want to interrupt their day.  I know the moment I breathe a word to anyone, everyone will know. 

One teacher, in particular, is really great. I want to make it clear to her that she was on our "reasons to stay" list.  Is that silly? 

Thank you in advance. :)

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 11 at 10:01 PM

The state you are in depends on the way you have to go about notifying & withdrawing your child from the system!

• SarahinWA
    February 11 at 11:17 PM
    I understand the legal process - I have to submit a Declaration of Intent to the District Office. I am wondering about the social/touchy-feely aspect of the process.
  • irvinehiker
    February 11 at 11:26 PM

Like usmom suggested I would follow the law in your state to  stay compliant.  If you felt compelled  you could certainly send a friendly letter to the nice teacher.  I took my DD  out 6 years ago and there  was nothing touchy/feely about it. I filed paperwork, wrote a letter of intent and we ran like heck.  My DD had a horrible ps experience though.  Sounds like this is not the case with your family.

• bluerooffarm
    February 12 at 7:47 AM

Quoting SarahinWA: I understand the legal process - I have to submit a Declaration of Intent to the District Office. I am wondering about the social/touchy-feely aspect of the process.

For the legal process, unless you have to submit the letter in person, I would send it via certified letter.  It saved me from the truancy officer that I had legal proof that my letter was submitted appropriately.

For the nice teacher and even the Principal, a nice friendly letter thanking them for all they did for your child (if it can be said sincerely) would be great.  Word will get around to the others that you can't be so sincere about.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    February 12 at 11:11 AM
    I don't see why you could not arrange a parent/teacher conference if you wanted a face-to-face. I would do it for the evening you withdraw.
  • Leissaintexas
    February 12 at 12:38 PM
    I never said a word, we just didn't go back. Are you socially obligated to say something to the teacher? I mean, are you neighbors or friends or something?
  • mem82
    by mem82
    February 12 at 1:30 PM

I nice card would be okay, I think.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    February 12 at 2:08 PM
    When I pulled my boys, I took a letter of withdrawl for my youngest, but let my older son finish out the year. There were only a couple weeks left. I had a big argument/ discussion (lol) with the jackass principal and walked out with DS2 and never took him back.

In our state, I wasnt required to file until the next fall.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 12 at 3:17 PM

I can't rely help you with that! When I removed my son from the PS it was on very bad terms & I did not care if their feelings got hurt because they had not cared for years about my sons feelings!

Quoting SarahinWA: I understand the legal process - I have to submit a Declaration of Intent to the District Office. I am wondering about the social/touchy-feely aspect of the process.

• Chasing3
    February 12 at 7:07 PM

i did not say anything to anyone at the school. I sent my letter to the district. Their school committe manual says they will respond within 2 weeks. I called after week 2, I got a verbal that I was approved but letters going out were a little delayed. Then I called the school and asked that he be taken off the roster as he is an approved homeschooler. I got the letter a few days later - which is good to have because it can get you discounts sometimes.

as far as the touchy-feely aspect. We had a somewhat confrotational set of parent teacher conferences for the year prior, so I didn't want to really set foot in teh building again! Luckily, our district is aware of the laws and hasnt' given any homeschoolers a hassle as of yet, and seems to jsut ignore us. Uniquely in my situation, my son has a twin sister who still attends the public school. On one occasion the principal greeted me and asked warmly about my homeschooled son. The times I have to go into the building the secretary always asks about him nicely. And I bumped into his teacher from last year at the supermarket and she seemed genuinely nice. I mean, I think they are good people, just misguided in their mission to get kids to pass standardized tests instead of enjoy learning...

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN