Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Hanab818
age question??
February 10 at 7:48 PM

My oldest misses the cut off date for public school by 17 days. I know i can file to have him go the year before since hes so close but how does it work if i intend to home school? We live in florida if that makes a difference.

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 10 at 8:12 PM

You just don't file until he is the required age! That dose not mean you can't homeschool before that you just don't have to fallow the homeschool laws until he is the required age!

• Precious333
    February 10 at 8:22 PM
    Yep!

Quoting usmom3:

You just don't file until he is the required age! That dose not mean you can't homeschool before that you just don't have to fallow the homeschool laws until he is the required age!

• Hanab818
    February 10 at 8:27 PM
    So when he does hit the age he stars first grade or k.

Quoting usmom3:

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 10 at 9:01 PM

I looked up the law HERE it says that compulsory age is not until 6 so I would not report anything until the year your child turns 6 & I would report that they are in the 1ST grade at that point!

Quoting Hanab818: So when he does hit the age he stars first grade or k.

Quoting usmom3:

• Hanab818
    February 10 at 9:06 PM
    Ok thanks.

Quoting usmom3:

I looked up the law HERE it says that compulsory age is not until 6 so I would not report anything until the year your child turns 6 & I would report that they are in the 1ST grade at that point!

Quoting usmom3:

• paganbaby
    February 10 at 10:01 PM

What usmom said. I love that I don't have to file until the kids were 6.

• KickButtMama
    February 13 at 12:09 AM

BJ covered it! 

• tntmom1027
    February 15 at 8:55 PM

I agree with everyone else. My son also missed the cutoff last year. The state we were living in doesn't test in and when we moved to our current state they don't test in either. So we started him in Kinder to see how it went and he was so bored because he already knew it all(we teach at home and he went to a preschool program last year(was a gymnastics/preschool program). So we took him out. 

Our state's age isn't until age 8 so we didn't have to do anything beyond withdrawling him from school. :) 

• kirbymom
    February 17 at 11:56 AM
    I agree!

Quoting Hanab818: Ok thanks.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting usmom3:

• coala
    by coala
    February 17 at 1:44 PM

I'm going to let you know now that if you want to continue in FL once he is of age that you are going to want to seek an umbrella program.  The only reason I suggest this is because they require state testing otherwise.  Most umbrella programs want you to keep track of attendance and not much else.  Go ahead and check your area for homeschool groups and they can point you in the direction of a local one that doesn't cost a fortune.  I know we have one where I live and I think the cost is around $50 a year per child.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts