Homeschooling Moms

coala
OT: Does anyone have the link for the homemade cleaners post
by coala
February 10 at 11:57 AM

I'm specifically looking for a recipe to make dishwashing detergent.  I can't stand spending money...when I can save more of it making my own cleaners.

BTW....I just did the math and we spent about $2.60 a month on laundry detergent by making our own for over a year.  That's only a $10 savings, but it is bettter than nothing.  I could probably make the detergent last a little longer by using a little less, but my family gets gross when they work out.  LOL

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 10 at 1:46 PM

This is the one we use

1 cup borax

• 1 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup citric acid
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt (for scrubbing action)
  • Use 1 Tbsp per load (you can use a heaping tablespoon if you feel the need, but we do not).

Each batch yields 24 ounces of detergent. We recommend storing in a container you were going to dispose of anyway, like an old yogurt container or coffee can you can fit it under your kitchen sink. Feel free to double the batch, or multiply to create any amount you’d like.

For a DIY rinse agent, simply fill the compartment with white vinegar.

I got it from this site CLICK TO GO THERE

• coala
    by coala
    February 10 at 4:06 PM

Where do you get the citric acid?

Quoting usmom3:

This is the one we use

1 cup borax

• 1 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup citric acid
  • Use 1 Tbsp per load (you can use a heaping tablespoon if you feel the need, but we do not).

Each batch yields 24 ounces of detergent. We recommend storing in a container you were going to dispose of anyway, like an old yogurt container or coffee can you can fit it under your kitchen sink. Feel free to double the batch, or multiply to create any amount you’d like.

• bluerooffarm
    February 10 at 4:23 PM

We get citric acid at the hardware store or at the bulk store.  Look in the canning isles in target or walmart too. (with the fruit fresh)

Quoting coala:

Quoting usmom3:

This is the one we use

1 cup borax

• 1 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup citric acid

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 10 at 4:27 PM

I order it from Amazon!

Quoting coala:

Quoting usmom3:

This is the one we use

1 cup borax

• 1 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup citric acid

• coala
    by coala
    February 12 at 2:53 PM

Thanks I will check there.  I don't want to buy in bulk until I know if I like what I am doing.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We get citric acid at the hardware store or at the bulk store.  Look in the canning isles in target or walmart too. (with the fruit fresh)

Quoting coala:

Quoting usmom3:

This is the one we use

1 cup borax

• 1 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup citric acid

• bluerooffarm
    February 12 at 3:03 PM

Our bulk store has things in lots of different sizes.  I think the first time I bought citric acid I bought it in a 4 oz bag.

Quoting coala:

Thanks I will check there.  I don't want to buy in bulk until I know if I like what I am doing.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting coala:

Quoting usmom3:

This is the one we use

1 cup borax

• 1 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup citric acid

• KickButtMama
    February 12 at 5:00 PM

Here ya go 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/18446650/Home_Made

• coala
    by coala
    February 13 at 2:46 PM

Thanks!!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Here ya go 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/18446650/Home_Made

• paganbaby
    February 13 at 5:03 PM

If you can't find it anywhere, lemon koolaid packets (plain w/o sugar) work well too.

Quoting coala:

Quoting usmom3:

This is the one we use

1 cup borax

• 1 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup citric acid

• KickButtMama
    February 13 at 8:13 PM

I've never heard of using the koolaid, thanks, I will have to try that out!

Quoting paganbaby:

If you can't find it anywhere, lemon koolaid packets (plain w/o sugar) work well too.

Quoting coala:

Quoting usmom3:

This is the one we use

1 cup borax

• 1 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup citric acid

• Homeschooling Moms