Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
NoraDun
ABCMouse? and Time4learning??
by NoraDun
February 9 at 9:05 PM

I used Abeka for my 3rd grader and it works well. I am not impressed with Abeka for my K and I feel like he isn't learning very well. I am considering trying ABCmouse, and Time4learning. I have read that the older grades aren't that great with the time4learning and that the whole program isn't christian friendly, but I am curious if anyone has used it for the younger grades. I just want something that works more on laying the foundation for reading. My Kindergardener is extremely smart and fast learning but I worry I am not doing enough and I will mess up his learning to read!

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    February 10 at 6:59 AM

I am a home school grandmother,  home school workshop leader,  and  a tutor who specializes in helping children learn to read.  Because of my success rate, I am invited to speak at the University Of North Florida, and the Reading Association.   While computers are great for some things, I do not recommend them for teaching phonics (books on line are OK though).  It does not effect all children, but it is the number one cause of reading difficulty when children begin to blend the sounds to form words.  The following video explains: 

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 10 at 8:28 AM
    I wouldn't recommend either one. I used Looney tunes phonics which is an online program and it worked quite well. My kids very at very different ages. I think at this age making fun and enjoyable is most important.
  • elizabooks
    February 10 at 8:36 AM
    I've heard nothing but good things about time 4 learning. It is a good program, but ig is secular. Not sure how it can be non Christian friendly.
    Abc mouse was too simple for my dd when she started reading.
    We like readingeggs.
  • Oddy_Knocky
    February 10 at 7:12 PM
    Time4Learning is secular but I haven't seen anything that's anti-Christian.
  • LoveMyKids0613
    February 11 at 12:10 AM

I hear that a Time4learning is good and I know some of the kids I keep had ABCMouse and it was very educational :) 

• AmyMamie
    February 11 at 10:44 AM

We've tried Time4Learning, which my son liked parts of.  But he was quickly bored with it each time.  We then tried ABCMouse, and my son won't even play the educational stuff there.  It's a little confusing on how to find the lessons when I'm not helping him, and he finds the lessons boring.  He LOVES Reading Eggs and Math Seeds, and he learned a lot on them to jumpstart his reading and math skills.  (They are both found on the Reading Eggs website).  

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts