Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
KickButtMama
Time sure flies!
February 7 at 12:44 PM

Proud mama moment. I actually left the kids home alone, for the first time ever, yesterday, it was only for about 30 minutes. When we got home we found out my eldest made his younger brother do chores while we were gone..lol...it was a big step for me since my eldest is on the autism spectrum. 

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 7 at 2:18 PM

That is awesome! We didn't let our oldest (on the Autism Spectrum as well)  stay home & watch the other 2 until he was 17 & they where 7 & 5. Now they are 20;10 & 8 & do great staying home alone!

• bluerooffarm
    February 7 at 2:49 PM

Yay!!

• TidewaterClan
    February 7 at 2:54 PM
    How wonderful! That is a proud moment.
  • Knightquester
    February 7 at 3:18 PM

Last year was the first year where we were able to leave the kids home alone.  It started out being only a few minutes, to a few hours.  It's amazing how much more responsible and mature they are now versus when they were younger.  It's also nice to have a little bit of child-free moments to go out and have small dates without worrying over the welfare of our kids.

• KickButtMama
    February 7 at 3:47 PM

Yeah, DJ is only 13, but I know I was going right around the corner to pick up my hubby from work. So he put the phone in his pocket..we wouldn't have entertained the idea in our old neighborhood, but we are in a nice suburb now so I knew they'd be safe...as long as they didn't burn the house down. My biggest worry was DJ calling 911 because the younger got a cat scratch or something! Lol but he was sooooo proud of being considered "The Baby Sitter" (though his brother took exception to being called a baby..lol). 

Quoting usmom3:

That is awesome! We didn't let our oldest (on the Autism Spectrum as well)  stay home & watch the other 2 until he was 17 & they where 7 & 5. Now they are 20;10 & 8 & do great staying home alone!

• KickButtMama
    February 7 at 3:48 PM

My DH still can't believe I did it, even though it was only a little bit..lol..it felt weird going somewhere alone!

Quoting Knightquester:

Last year was the first year where we were able to leave the kids home alone.  It started out being only a few minutes, to a few hours.  It's amazing how much more responsible and mature they are now versus when they were younger.  It's also nice to have a little bit of child-free moments to go out and have small dates without worrying over the welfare of our kids.

• KrissyKC
    February 7 at 10:23 PM
    I have left my kids recently for short excursions. She isn't dxed yet, but we are pretty sure that kaycee (our eldest) may be aspergers too. I'm not sure if that changes things or not... we are only just now seriously considering getting an eval done.
  • kirbymom
    February 7 at 11:24 PM
    Hey, that is wonderful!
    I rarely do, but when I do it is like doing it for the first time. Their my babies! Why do they have to grow up?!???
  • debramommyof4
    February 8 at 12:54 AM
    That is a proud moment indeed!
  • KickButtMama
    February 8 at 1:02 AM

For us, having our eldest as an Aspie meant delaying his independance. Until very recently, he would freeze when asked questions by persons other than me - so if there was an emergency and a police officer or EMT asked what was wrong he wouldn't be able to answer, he still does this occasionally. Also the freezing (literally, he freezes like a statue) would occur whenever he was overwhelmed. So again, if there was an emergency he might not be able to respond appropriately. Sometimes he would panic over small issues, like a pie plate fell off of our hutch and hit me on the hand, while I was curled up in pain he wanted to call 911 so I could get an X-ray. My youngest is going to be 10 in a couple of weeks, and he is neuro-typical. So now I know if they are home alone together my youngest can help, they can work together. But I don't think they are ready to be home alone for longer periods of time yet. 

Quoting KrissyKC: I have left my kids recently for short excursions. She isn't dxed yet, but we are pretty sure that kaycee (our eldest) may be aspergers too. I'm not sure if that changes things or not... we are only just now seriously considering getting an eval done.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN