Homeschooling Moms

LoveMyKids0613
Questions???
February 6 at 12:36 AM

Hello, I'm thinking about homeschooling my son who is almost 8 years old and ADHD. He is currently doing very well in his private school but paying 4,500 a year is really becoming a problem for us :/ I have looked into the K12 program and also doing the current curriculum his school is doing but there is only one problem I also have some learning issues and I didn't graduate... I did call the school board and I can home school him but I'm not sure it's the best thing for him and I don't want him falling behind. We knock heads doing homework so, I can only imagine how all day would go :/ My question is with the curriculum are the lessons planned out and you just follow them or do you do it all on your own?? Also, if you come across something you don't understand what do you do??? I know the higher he goes he will be learning algebra and I had lots of issues in school with this :/ Any advice would be great and thanks!!!

Replies

• Jinx-Troublex3
    February 6 at 1:56 AM
    Bump so i can respond in the morning
  • Chasing3
    February 6 at 7:23 AM

Every review I've read of the educational content and instructional methods of k12 have been negative. And their business model has been slammed on Wall Street even by investors who say they are a sorry excuse for an educational company. On principle, I would not use it, and believe me, I've looked over their site many times thinking I'd find an easy, cheap shortcut to some things on tthere.

But some people say they really like it, so I guess if it fits your and your son's style of learning, then go for it.

I did horrible in highschool math and never took a math class in college, but  I am confident I can do what needs to be done to teach my son. On the one hand, I'm kind of interested to get to that level of textbooks and see if I can do it now! And also, I know I can always hire a tutor for help at a fraction of what private shools cost.

good luck!!

• AllThatBabyJazz
    February 6 at 9:30 AM

I did not graduate. I won't let it stop me from giving my kids opportunities I was robbed of. Take it one day at a time, learn alongside your son. You can do this! :) 

• romacox
    by romacox
    February 6 at 3:23 PM

1.  Home Educated children outperform their public school counter parts, and that is the case even if the parent holds no degree.. So the answer is yes, you can teach your child...where there is a will there is a way, and there is lots of support in the Home School arena.... lots of people to help you. 

2.  K12 In The News

3.  Government Funded Home Schools...Will Home Educators Dodge This Bullet

4.  Home School Legal Defense On The Matter

In spite of such documentation, no one here condemns anyone for choosing to use the government funded programs (K12).  That is because we support the parent's right to choose.

As a Home School Workshop leader I put together a free web page to help answer questions like yours:

How To Home School

• princessesmom09
    February 6 at 3:24 PM
    We love k12 it's helped a lot
  • TidewaterClan
    February 6 at 3:38 PM

This is our first year.  I purchased pieces of our curriculum separately: different company for math versus social studies, etc.  I bought the teachers' editions and EVERYTHING is spelled out in them.  The time line/how many pages to cover a day, solutions to problems, games, extra activities to reinforce the material, etc.  I was extremely nervous until those showed up.  :)

• coala
    by coala
    February 6 at 3:46 PM

What curriculum is he currently using?  What grade is he in?

BTW on priciple alone....I will not EVER use K12.  It is public school at home and I won't let them tell me how and when to educate my children.

• LoveMyKids0613
    February 7 at 7:56 AM

He is currently doing the Beka and I like it

Quoting coala:

BTW on priciple alone....I will not EVER use K12.  It is public school at home and I won't let them tell me how and when to educate my children.

• coala
    by coala
    February 7 at 9:52 AM

If he is doing well with Abeka then you can continue to use.  It can be a little pricey (we use it for 2 children), but my girls are thriving on this curriculum.  You can go to their website.....abekabook.org and find a materials display near you in your state.  When you get there you can meet with your local rep and they will walk you through all that you need for that particular grade, get free shipping, potentially 10% off...they will also talk to you about payment options.  You can pay up front for it all, or you can make payments.  Our local reps have been amazing!!!  If you want some more info you can pm me and I would be happy to explain our this curriculum is laid out for home use.

Quoting LoveMyKids0613:

He is currently doing the Beka and I like it

Quoting coala:

• julesjerry
    February 7 at 1:40 PM

I have Masters degree but very poor in studies. For name sake i hold this degree. Trust me i don't know any thing. I learn a lot from this group and teach my daughter by learning every day. I learn first then teach her.

If i can do you can do.

Below are few links which helps me.

http://fromandforkids.wordpress.com/2013/10/26/study-curriculum-guide-for-all-grade/

http://fromandforkids.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/3rd-grade-curriculum/

http://fromandforkids.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/prek-to-8th-grade-educational-website-i-follow/

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts