Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
lovelylady83
Any Educators/Math Degree Mom's in here?
February 5 at 11:58 AM

So a little of a back story (some of you may already remember):

For preK -1st my daughter was in a private Montessori school. She excelled in Language Arts but unforntunately only mastered K level mathematics.  She then moved to a public school for 2 weeks.  

During the parents day I tried to express my concerns about her switching from a very mobile environment to a more rigid classroom setting.  The teacher said, "she will be fine" and walked away.  So this didn't sit well to start with me.  Then for the first two weeks my daughter was coming home with all of her "guided practice" wrong and was completely lost as to what to do for her homework.  After a week of reteaching her I had her tested (out of pocket).  This is when I found out where she was in the afore mentioned subjects.  So I pulled her from school and got started towards ensuring that she progressed at a reasonable rate.  I was in school to be a teacher at the time so I was confident I could.  Since then I have had to switch school and I am getting a degree in Child Development and then doing my MAT thanks to the lack of Elementary Education being offered at my current college.  

Which  brings me to:  She is doing great she is a 4th grader by age but she is in book 3b of Math in Focus and yesterday we tried MEP for the first time to see how she took the challenge.  While my original plan was to just school through summers until she was caught up she is starting to come to that age where the number on the book really bothers her.  Is there a math program that I can buy that is designed to bring kids up 2 grade levels in one year?  

CROSS Posting...

Replies

• paganbaby
    February 5 at 12:30 PM

Bump!

• SarahNElijah
    February 5 at 9:03 PM
    You could use something like Math U See, which is labeled in the Greek alphabet instead of grade levels..? It is also a very hands on curriculum.
  • lovelylady83
    February 6 at 1:15 AM

We are not really math u see folks but thank you!  The program is working ...she does really well with it... she is just upset about the number on the book.   I think we are just going to make some book covers and stick with working over the summers... I don't want her to hate math.  Nor do I like the idea of switching curriculum.  Math in Focus is AMAZING...She tests in the 96th percentile in Math on grade level.  It's just the stupid book that has her panities in a bunch... I am going to make an art project out of it and hopefully that will help :)

• ablackdolphin
    February 6 at 4:10 PM
    You might look into RightStart math I am a CPA and think it is an amazing program! It is based on using an abacus.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN