Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Howardx5
i cant do it!
February 4 at 9:45 PM
I went to the library today and checked out "its not the stork", "why boys and girls are different", "everyone has a belly button", and "what's the big secret". I wasn't sure which book or books id use but I just grabbed some and figured id look them over before choosing. They're all basically the same. Some talk about touching and that its ok to ask someone not to touch you, bad touches vs feel good touches...

I'm not sure what I expected but I didn't get it. Lol.

I was not expecting any of them to go into detail of what sex is (a few goes into detail about the man putting his penis in the girls vagina and it feeling good , him ejaculating, etc). Masturbation...

I'm not at all as ready for this as I thought. I talked to DD today (she's 6) and told her wed read them and id answer any questions she had tomorrow, when SO is off work and can entertain the younger kids. I explained this is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of but I did not want her talking to other kids about anything we discuss because their parents may not be ready for them to know these things.

she is still very eager to learn about it but I'm freaking out inside. Haha.

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 4 at 9:47 PM

At 6, I would skip all of the masturbation and most of the sex things. Yikes! lol

• Howardx5
    February 4 at 9:54 PM
    That's pretty much the point of all of it though. She's hearing a lot of things at school. Things that are so far from the truth. She's asking questions... I don't want her being clueless and getting the sex talk from other students or even the school. She's already confused

Quoting mem82:

At 6, I would skip all of the masturbation and most of the sex things. Yikes! lol

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 4 at 9:58 PM

I guess I still wouldn't go as far as these books are going. 8(  If the school wanted to talk to a 6 yo about that stuff I would pull her out.

Quoting Howardx5: That's pretty much the point of all of it though. She's hearing a lot of things at school. Things that are so far from the truth. She's asking questions... I don't want her being clueless and getting the sex talk from other students or even the school. She's already confused

Quoting mem82:

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 4 at 10:05 PM

Yeah just the basics & I would only give information for the questions she is asking. That way you don't give her more then she wants because it might be more then she can handle at the age of 6.

Quoting mem82:

• Bluecalm
    February 4 at 10:44 PM
    I have a 6 year old and I am not ready for that. Good luck!
  • kirbymom
    February 4 at 10:48 PM
    My mother gave me the same info when I was seven and I had issues later down the road. I would only give answers to questions asked. I would also be having a conversation with the school on the views of such exposure to such young children. I mean, why talk about the "act's" of sex to children who can't even have sex?!
  • paganbaby
    February 4 at 11:00 PM

I agree with everyone else. Just honestly answer her questions in an age appropriate manner.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    February 4 at 11:08 PM
    I know how you feel. My daughter is 7 and we've had one watered down talk already, but there are still questions being asked. I'm trying to figure out how to make things age appropriate before our next discussion but I keep freaking myself out. Must they grow up so fast!
  • paganbaby
    February 4 at 11:10 PM

At 6 I knew about masturbation and so did my kids. I didn't know about orgasms until puberty (and then she explained it terribly,lol) but my mom had the talk with me about how it's okay to touch my myself but it's private and to wash my hands when I finished. I had the same talk with my kids by the time they were three or so.

As for sex, again, I had the same talk my mom gave us. Very basic. Mom and dad love each other and want to have a baby, he puts his penis in her vagina and sperm (like seeds) come out and meet mommy's egg and a baby grows. Then of course she went into gestation and so on.

Quoting mem82:

• paganbaby
    February 4 at 11:12 PM

It's real fun when your 11 year old asks about gay sex,lol! I had a time with that one... Before then I tried to keep the sex talk to just baby making.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts