Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bluecalm
Anyone do a 4 day week?
February 3 at 10:43 PM
Does it work well for you? How do you cover everything?

Mondays both my boys have speech right before lunch. I've been able to use the afternoons for schoolwork, but I found out today my 6 year old is going to have physical therapy also on Mondays. I'm thinking of just using the rest of the day for art and reading books. I'm debating either going to a 4 day week ,adding Saturday morning too since my dh usually works OT then or just not worrying about it since we go year round.

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    February 3 at 10:52 PM

We kind of do.  Friday is co-op at the library and then we all go to the park.  He usually spends that morning finishing up his presentation for co-op and does his spelling test.  Other than that he usually only does reading on Friday's.  It has worked well for us.  He is still getting everything done the other four days.

• KrissyKC
    February 4 at 1:22 AM
    No...in missouri you set your own school hours and days.

So I usually have at least SOMETHING school worthy to put down daily...

For example... saturdays sometimes end up as workdays while tuesdays when dh is off ends up being a good family field trip day.

Sundays they have group practice for their bible quiz group and children's church. I include this as part of their religious instruction. Sunday afternoons are usually reading, crafts, and engineering with keva planks and they often watch a documentary before going back to church for either youth or drama practice.

As for their book work... we do this 2-5 days per week.
  • lovelylady83
    February 4 at 1:23 AM

We school 5 days a week BUT 4 days are main subjects Math, LA, Latin and alternating Science/History and our 5th day is Music, Art, Latin, & other projects/playdates.  

As for how do we get it all done.... I don't "cram" we just go with the flow.  We road school sometimes: Audio books/videos/Music (classical kids collection is great for this)  in the car, or sometimes she will read her reader in the car.  I also keep 2 books in the car that I read when my husband is driving us somewhere, The Story Book of Science and A Child's Geography of the World.  We like them because we all discuss the differences of the technology and what they knew and believed in the past and compare it with modern knowledge/facts/technology. My daughter is in 4th grade.  

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 4 at 3:38 AM
    I always leave Friday as a 'tie up loose ends' day because Mondays are hit or miss for us.
  • Codysmom2106
    February 4 at 7:38 AM
    That was the original plan. But it hasn't worked out that way yet.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 4 at 8:06 AM
    We basically do about 4 days work spread out and we also homeschool in the summer. We have a couple of co-op days which I consider half days.
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 4 at 8:41 AM
    We do Monday through Thursday. We are Waldorf so we do a block schedule and have no problem covering everything.
  • bluerooffarm
    February 4 at 9:15 AM

I used to do a 4 day week, but we decided that traveling for 4 hours in the car on Fridays could be a rolling schoolhouse.  It's a short day, but we still count it as a day.  Plus I added a few things on Fridays like when we eat breakfast out I have my oldest figure out the tip, my youngest counts out the money and the middle figures out the change.  

On the trip to grandma's house, they listen to books on CD (usually a lit book and a chapter of Story of the World), draw a history journal entry, and do a math review worksheet.  We discuss the SotW chapter.  On the way home, they finish their science charts or graphs.  Write up their conclusions.  We discuss any results they didn't understand.  I quiz spelling words.

Most of it is oral, they don't do any handwriting practice, geography, real reading, but they do get quite a bit of work done and so I count it.

Is there anything you can do during your outing day?

• Bluecalm
    February 4 at 9:57 AM
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

I used to do a 4 day week, but we decided that traveling for 4 hours in the car on Fridays could be a rolling schoolhouse.  It's a short day, but we still count it as a day.  Plus I added a few things on Fridays like when we eat breakfast out I have my oldest figure out the tip, my youngest counts out the money and the middle figures out the change.  

On the trip to grandma's house, they listen to books on CD (usually a lit book and a chapter of Story of the World), draw a history journal entry, and do a math review worksheet.  We discuss the SotW chapter.  On the way home, they finish their science charts or graphs.  Write up their conclusions.  We discuss any results they didn't understand.  I quiz spelling words.

Most of it is oral, they don't do any handwriting practice, geography, real reading, but they do get quite a bit of work done and so I count it.

I could play some sort of educational CD during the drive, that would be about 45 minutes total. We don't wait long for appointments once we get there. Afterwards would be lunch and he'd probably need a nap. I could read to them during lunch. We started the fact books that go along with the Magic Treehouse books so that would work for Science. I could also fit in some computer practice before supper.
  • bluerooffarm
    February 4 at 10:22 AM

Quoting Bluecalm:
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

I could play some sort of educational CD during the drive, that would be about 45 minutes total. We don't wait long for appointments once we get there. Afterwards would be lunch and he'd probably need a nap. I could read to them during lunch. We started the fact books that go along with the Magic Treehouse books so that would work for Science. I could also fit in some computer practice before supper.

IMO you could call that at least a half day!  I just found that it was very hard to get all of our days (state required days) when we only did 4 days a week.

But also remember that IMO we are always learning!  So I could count every single day if I really wanted to fight with the state!  LOL

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN